Re: [RFI] Noise from Generac Solar controllers?

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise from Generac Solar controllers?
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 20:49:29 +0000
Jim:

Yes, they have to generate RF energy when multi-amperes are rapidly
switched.  BUT,.......they should be constructed such that they do not
RADIATE that energy.  There are two sides to the RFI/EMC "solution":  1)
attempt to not generate RF energy - about impossible with the high speeds
of silicon today, and, 2)  if they must generate RF energy, prevent it from
being radiated (or conducted).

 So, according to Ed Hare, ARRL, solar power systems might fall under Part
15, Subpart B, as unintentional radiators as an "appliance".  This would
require passing both radiated emissions (minimum 30 MHz through at least 1
GHz as an entire system - including simulated house wiring!!) and conducted
emissions (150 kHz through 30 MHz on the AC side).  Clearly, they do not.
Even the Part 15, Subpart B, unintentional radiator limits, would get under
the skin of most amateurs operating HF.

So, are single-family home solar power installations considered an
"appliance".  Personally, I have trouble with that, but let's *not* involve
the lawyers as we'll get something we really don't want!!!😖😫😕

Again, personally, I have a lot of trouble waiting for progress to bring
the whole segment into something reasonable when it comes to RFI.  I'm in
the county well away from populated areas in the Foot Hills of the Rockies
by choice and am just hoping and praying that no one within a 1/2-mile of
me gets a wild hair to install a solar power system.   Closest neighbor is
1/2-mile distant.  My other hobby is radio astronomy.

Dave - WØLEV

--
*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*