Re: [RFI] Mystery noise

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery noise
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 12:01:06 -0700
On 8/13/2021 11:04 AM, David Eckhardt wrote:
But, I have a rather monstrous common mode choke on the new refrigerator/freezer power cord.

Remember that effective common mode chokes work by exhibiting a low Q (broadband) resonance, so should be tuned (wound) to the range where suppression is needed.

At least that was accessible unlike the clothes washer/dryer and dish washer, and a few additional SMPS's in other appliances.

And.....if I get serious about a specific radio astronomy associated project, only the computer serving that project is on.  All others are off and the internet is OFF, including the wireless router. Not just OFF, but denied AC power!

A lot of our network infrastructure can be suppressed by choking connecting wiring, including, but not limited to, their power, coax from CATV internet and CAT5 between modem and router. DSL is a more difficult kettle of fish, as the service cable can radiate. Noise from their SMPSs can be eliminated by replacing them with suitably rated linear supplies. I go a step further by using the linear supplies to float-charge sealed lead-acid batteries. I do the same with outboard video monitors. Mine were purchased about five years ago when Samsung and several other vendors were using 14VDC, and work fine in the 12-14 range.

I've used nothing but Thinkpads since about 2005. They're pretty good for RFI, although I recall one vintage that was nasty on 2M. Running with only their built-in screen and a wireless mouse eliminates more wiring that could radiate. I always choke PSU wiring and cables to external monitors.