[RFI] XYLs, et cetera.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] XYLs, et cetera.
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 16:45:01 -0800
I wish my wife would take interest in ham radio. She just calls it a party line for geeks.

Having dated two hams over the years, many non, and marrying one, I can only say, maybe she just doesn't get it, yet. I met mine on Field Day, at the 40m CW table. Got together a little over a month later, and it's worked out quite well. Also have a daughter who is a Ham, and is a Pacific Region liaison and comms coordinator for CAP.

Maybe your wife just hasn't found the "cool" part yet. Even those that don't "get" it, often find something super interesting about some aspect of it, which you can then cultivate. For mine, it was voice, or CW DX, which I have no interest in, for me, weak signal, digital modes, and obscure radio, and related equipment going back to the late 1800's. She also likes Natural Radio, which I played with in the 90's, so I gave her all of my equipment, and will walk her through all of that. Some people really flip out when they realize they can hear rustling leaves, insects, charged snowflakes, walking on the soil, dust in the air, electric charges on various surfaces under different conditions, hair, various atmospheric phenomena, sometimes fire, et cetera.

Kurt