Re: [RFI] Noisy PC Speakers

To: Tony <73guddx@gmail.com>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisy PC Speakers
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 15:59:10 +0000
The ARRL Lab received a report of interference from a Class D audio amplifier
that had been installed about 500 feet from an amateur.  We purchased a set of
them, set them up in our C63.4 conducted-emissions test room, connected two
resistors as loads and measured radiated and conducted emissions. (Our
conducted-emissions measurements are pretty accurate. For radiated emissions,
we are making measurements on HF and VHF in the presence of a lot of other
conductors, so we are looking for gross problems only.  The amplifier passed
conducted emissions testing, did not create a lot of noise on HF and seemed to
be below the limits on VHF radiated emissions.

This didn't jive well with the report we received. I had been to the site where
the noise was occurring and it was real and it was heard over that distance, so
something was clearly going on.

We then hooked up 16 feet of wire and real speakers.  Bingo!  The noise level
went up dramatically. It was my guess that the speaker leads were radiating, so
we tried a common-mode choke and bypass capacitor. It made a bit of a
difference, but it still was not nearly as quiet as it was when we terminated
the speaker connections with resistors.  We tried a better filter on the
speaker leads and the noise actually went up slightly.

Then, we remeasured the conducted emissions, just as a thorough test and, to my
surprise, replacing the resistive terminations on the amplifier output with
speakers connected to wires caused the *conducted emissions* to rise well above
the FCC limits.  VERY interesting.  It would be typical of a lab to measure
conducted emissions on one test fixture where, for simplicity, it terminated
the speakers with resistors. So, a unit that "passed" when tested under
laboratory conditions failed emissions testing badly when installed under
real-world conditions. I just would not have expected emissions conducted onto
the ac mains to vary with the length of speaker wires connected to the output,
but that is exactly what we saw.

We have also seen the same effect with lighting devices.  I was testing an LED
bulb for conducted emissions and saw that the conducted emissions increased
dramatically when I unscrewed the bulb, placing my hand near it. Okay, that's
not a really big deal, but the bulb was a spotlight bulb, so instead of testing
it in a open fixture, I bought a recessed can that would be very typical of the
way the bulb is used in real life.  The conducted emissions were about 8 dB
higher, putting the bulb over the limits when used in a real-world environment.

I also saw the same effect on a power supply that passed emissions limits when
terminated in a resistive load at its output, but having conducted emissions
increase dramatically on 7 MHz when terminated with the same resistive load
attached to the supply with a 33-foot twisted pair.

I made a proposal to the IEEE EMC Society to do an "Experiments and Demos"
presentation of these phenomena, because this is information that really should
be made part of standards for the ways that EMC is measured in laboratories.
Unfortunately, the in-person event was cancelled due to COVID-19 and I didn't
have access to the ARRL Lab until only several days before the deadline for
submitting a video for the virtual event that took its place.  Now that I am
back in the Lab pretty much every day, I intend to make that video in case the
May EMC Symposium in Raleigh, NC is not held in person. I will also document
this in an article that I can submit to one of the EMC Society peer-reviewed
journals.  That is probably the best say to introduce this into the standards
arena. I want to see if we can get C63.4 modified in some way so that these
resonance effects can be included in the standard to ensure that testing done
will match the ways devices perform in the real world.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab