Re: [RFI] Rfi help

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Rfi help
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 20:12:12 -0700
On 5/16/2020 6:03 PM, Michael Martin, RFI Services wrote:
I used to make a lot of rg214 cables and I always used the same connectors that
I used on rg58, I just didn't use a reducer. I would solder the center
conductor and would have to use pliers to screw the connector over the double
braid onto the RG 214 and it was very tight and made a really good connection
and then I would solder all four holes and the center conductor. I never ever
had an issue with bad connections.

Hi Mike,

The only RG214 I've run into were a couple of patch cables that came out of N6RZ's estate. I remember having to replace a bad connector on at least one of them, and it worked for me like it did for you. I've done the same with some Belden RG11 triax designed for video studio applications that I bought at a hamfest. I use Amphenol 83-1SP connectors and for RG400 patch cables, use silver reducers sized for RG58.

My procedure is to strip the coax to fit, screw it on to the jacket, solder the center, then the four holes.