Re: [RFI] LED streetlights - Lumenistics

To: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED streetlights - Lumenistics
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 07:20:08 -0800
"This was several years ago, the city has converted fully to LED, and no issues so far..."

I only noted an issue once, about twelve years ago. An LED streetlight had failed, and was turning on/off about once per second. Broadband RFI (HF-VHF) within about 200', sounded like the buzzing/hash produced by a dirty neon sign. Once the lamp was fixed, the noise went away. I had a couple of lamp fixtures I acquired to play with and test, but they ran on an oddball fixed Voltage, something like 277VAC, so that was a no-go. Well built, everything machined out of aluminum, with only the LED chips visible through small holes in an aluminum plate about 1/2" thick, acting as a heat sink.

Kurt