Re: [RFI] Multi-Stage High Efficiency Air Conditioner Units

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Multi-Stage High Efficiency Air Conditioner Units
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 10:57:14 -0800
On 2/7/2020 10:39 AM, r55stan@gmail.com wrote:
The lesson for me on that project was RFI can get out of a piece of equipment on EVERY conductor that comes out of it.

RIGHT.

I think we tend to only focus on the power cord because for most appliances those are the only wires connected to it. My only other comment is a single pass through a ferrite probably won't reduce a strong RFI source enough.

Also correct, but there is MUCH more to it. Study k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf and http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

The culprit in these units is the variable speed motor controller, which is a generator of rectangular waves, the pulse width and/or frequency of which is varied to control the speed. Better mfrs of these units MAY have optional filters/mods for RFI.