Re: [RFI] Non-switching wall warts availability?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Non-switching wall warts availability?
From: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@steeltrails.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 10:17:26 -0800
Learned something new here, great list !! Opened my eyes to what I already knew, and yup, it makes sense.

Gary...wa6fgi

On 11/26/2018 4:44 PM, Edward Mccann via RFI wrote:
Andy:

Keep in mind a linear wall wart will offer transformation to the lower voltage
from a specific voltage input: think transformer winding ratio.

If it’s 110/115 VAC in and 12 V out, you’ve landed a transformer/based linear
power supply.

If you are offered a wide range of voltage in, say 110-240 VAC and 12 V out you
have a switching power supply.

The only exception I have seen is on travel adapters where there is a specific
input voltage selector switch, changing the taps on the primary transformer.

Hope this helps.

And do read K9YC’s writings on the subject. He’s spot-on in his observations
and recommendations.

Ed
AG6CX

Sent from my iPhone