Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection
From: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@steeltrails.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 08:08:37 -0700
I would suggest you contact your electricity supplier.

Ours (in Sacramento, Ca) will install one for a few bux a month.

Gary...wa6fgi

On 4/30/2018 5:58 AM, John K9UWA wrote:
I have all Polyphaser devices in my home. Starting from the main power panel
with a whole house shunt protector and ending with every wire or metal device
that comes or goes from the house to the outside. With three towers tallest is
180
feet to the top antenna it has been lightning struck many times. I have 100
ground
rods in the grounding system all connected by 3/8" ID Copper tubing. The system
has been in place since 1989 and to date I have had Zero damage to any of my
equipment or household appliances. Once the whole house protector did finally
blow up. Polyphaser asked if anything in the house had been damaged. Answer
was NO they said fine after more than 10 years you need a new one. Call me a
satisified customer.
John k9uwa

Timely question as last week there was an accident near me that caused a high
voltage line to fall across the low voltage lines.

Spent the next few days replacing fuses and varistors in several appliances and
throwing out four line cord type surge protectors that got fried. Lucky for me
none of my radios or computers were damaged.

Been doing the research into a whole house unit myself and I'd be interested in
hearing others opinions / experiences.

Tom
W3TA
I'm interested in having a whole house surge (AC) protector installed.
How does one size it, and can anyone recommended a manufacturer (and
particular model)?
Thanks & 73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC