Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection

To: eedwards@oppd.com, ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com, pvrc@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection
From: Michael Aust <ava622@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:38:44 -0400
My shack has SurgeX AC Line Protectors such as the SX1115-RT 19inch rack, the
one with the 4 LEDS on the front Panel
It's a Series Mode Protector, much better MOV type's than work only once, these
have Under/OverVoltage,
Loss of Neutral Ground Protection, Can take 1000's of 6KV strikes with No
Damage, In-Rush Protection,
RFI/EMI protection

Found them on EBay surplus between $100 - $200, better than paying New Prices
at $800 each

Make sure it has four LED indicators next to Power On Switch on the Front Panel
and Yellow EMI
sockets on the back for their latest design

At a lot of hams in Texas & Florida in the Lightning Zone Area's swear by these
for AC line Protection
You Local Hardware MOV's are shunt mode and only protect you once, after that
they fail to protect
you and MOV's are Fire Hazards if they fail improperly

A Solid ground Rod at the Main Beaker Box per Utilities Code is a Must also.

Michael Aust
WB6DJI