Re: [RFI] Help Identifying RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help Identifying RFI
From: "Dave Cole (NK7Z)" <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:47:32 -0700
Jim (WPA),

Respectfully, if you have not used an SDR for location you should give it a try before you write it off.

I have everything you mentioned-- and more with my SDR setup... Almost all SDR packages come with a built in O-Scope display of the audio one is tuned to, all SDR packages allow one the ability to listen, and in any mode, although I use AM 99.9% of the time. All SDRs gives me the ability to see the RFI across MHz, to KHz of spectrum, this helps in locating exactly what source I am looking for. I can move higher in frequency as I approach with no changed in gear, just a different antenna... Works like a champ to locate RFI.

I can see individual RFI sources drop and increase as I rotate the loop, that lets me follow one single source. It's amazing to rotate the loop, and watch the ONLY the RFI source I am looking for dip, while the others are not dipped... I take a bearing, and it is just like the old days, take a few more, then start looking at a map, then get closer, and use the Yagi at 100 MHz, using the same radio...

How did we do DFing before SDR, a Yaesu FT-817ND, several different sized loops, a Yagi, and maps, just the same as I use the SDR.

The SDR is tons faster. You should give it a try-- really! I have done both methods extensively, and the SDR makes it a lot simpler and faster for me. I still wander around with headphones on listening to the RFI, I just get more data by looking at the SDR display which helps me in locating RFI.

Dave
NK7Z
http://www.nk7z.net