Re: [RFI] Smoothfitness 6.25 Treadmill RFI

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Smoothfitness 6.25 Treadmill RFI
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:36:52 -0400
Jim (K9YC) and gang,

Based on my experience with treadmills, a commercial AC line filter is not
a waste of time, but normally it needs to be used in conjunction with a
K9YC type toroid core choke to have maximum reduction in RFI.  As an
example you can check out the youtube video at :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO5DcVSw3M0 which I created a few years ago
demonstrating treadmill RFI and the elimination of it.

(I really need to go back and update this video using a spectrum display
captured with an SDR receiver).

I would also not characterize the treadmill noise as coming from a SMPS,
but rather originating from a variable speed drive (same issue regarding
high speed switching, but calling it a SMPS is probably too much of a
generalization).

I've also found commercial AC line filters very useful in reduction or
elimination of other equipment that contains variable speed drives
(injection molding machines, HVAC systems, etc.).

Don (wd8dsb)