Re: [RFI] 40 Meter RFI Issue

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 40 Meter RFI Issue
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:56:51 -0700
On Mon,8/31/2015 1:20 PM, Michael Coslo wrote:
It’s a Flex6300.

That model lacks a pre-selector.

Nothing has changed in the shack since the day I got it, and through the
winter, 40 meters was in pretty constant use, and was working well until around
a month ago, when this interference showed up.

Did you, your XYL, or a neighbor buy something and start using it around that time?

I’ve done everything locally except for turning the entire house off. Which is
a little difficult to do with the 6300 because it runs through the house router and
has a computer attached.

Hmmm. Can't you bypass the router, run the radio on battery, and connect directly from a laptop?

I also see the interference on a little RXTX ensemble I built that I use
outside the house. That might be the ticket for turning off house power, since
I can run the RXTX off a battery, and same with the laptop attached to it.

Pardon my ignorance. What's an "RX/TX ensemble?" If you mean a computer-controlled transceiver, yes, that could help troubleshoot.

BUT -- if this does turn out to be an overload issue, you'll need something far more bulletproof connected to your antenna. Perhaps you can borrow a K3 or KX3, both of which have serious preselectors, and see if you hear the trash. Even better if you can borrow one with a P3 or PX3. If it doesn't see the trash, you know it's overload. If it does, then it's not overload, the trash is on frequency, and you'll need to walk/drive around to zero in on it.

Also -- any portable RX is going to need a pretty long antenna to hear this stuff.