Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:36:44 -0700
On 3/25/2014 12:56 PM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
Hi, Jim,

What I am suspecting is that we may need to install the following filters:

Differntial-mode AC filter
Common-mode choke on AC mains
Common-mode choke on incoming coaxial cable
Common-mode choke on any other long leads to the TV screen

Two problems with commercial line filters are 1) that what they call common mode is the voltage between neutral and the green wire, which is not common mode as we would define it. 2) the green wire goes straight through the filter, and the green wire is often what's carrying the RF current because the green wire is not properly tied to the shielding enclosure (chassis) within the noise source. Instead, there's a "Pin One-Like Problem" with termination of the green wire. I've long suspected a similar mechanism for coupling RF noise onto coax. Problem #2 happens either because of circuit layout or because the intended connection is insulated from the chassis by paint. I've seen this, for example, in three Astron power supplies that I've looked at. The green wire goes to the mounting terminal of an old fashioned terminal strip, and there's paint between it and the chassis.

Jim, is your choke cookbook on line?

Yes. It's part of k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf Chapter 8, I think. Appendix One has the raw measured data for single turns of small wire on 2.4-in o.d. toroids. Measured data for larger wire, and for 1-in i.d. clamps precedes the "Cookbook."

I need to expand the cookbook to include recommendations for smaller clamps on smaller cables. Our last group purchase was for Fair-Rite 0431173551, which is 0.75-in. i.d. and a bit more than an inch long. We bought 7 boxes at a per-unit price of $2.28, as compared to $9.08 each for the much larger (and longer) 1-in i.d. clamps in 144 quantity. These smaller clamps are equally effective on smaller cables if you wind enough turns to move the resonance down to where you need it. Even smaller clamps work fine too, if you can get the required number of turns through them.

I want to make sure that ARRL links to it, on a number of our pages, actually.
:-)

My main publications page is k9yc.com/publish.htm It has lots of other stuff of use to hams. Thanks for the interest.

Someone else to talk to about plasma sets is W1HIS. He's got one that he has figured out is magentically coupling to plumbing pipes below the set, which in turn couple to his antenna(s). He's trying to choke the plumbing pipes with big #31 clamps. While he may be right about the coupling, I don't expect he can get enough resistive choking Z to get useful suppression at HF, but perhaps you could measure his set.