Re: [RFI] Introduction - power line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Introduction - power line noise
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:24:15 -0400
I want to thank everyone who has offered support and information on
my problem.

I do understand a lot of RFI originates from homes and that some of
it can at first appear to be from power lines. I have a furnace
across the street with some sort of continuous sparking problem when
it runs. When it first appeared a year and a half ago I at first
thought it was another source of power line noise but quickly
realized it wasn't. It didn't take long to figure out what and where
it was. I have a nearby plasma TV that isn't much fun either. And
the first thing my MFJ-856 found was my own toaster oven!

Still, my biggest problem is the power lines. I'm happy with the 38%
suspect pole confirm ratio on the first visit from my power company,
considering most of the sources are intermittent and it was quite
damp early in the day. Most of the less severe ones I would expect
to be quiet in those conditions.

I am adding an ultrasonic unit to my arsenal if for no other reason
than I just have to know how many of my RF-detected sources I can
confirm and pinpoint with it.

I'm still working on the UHF sniffer problem. I'm convinced a UHF
unit would be a very useful addition. I have a couple of potential
circuits to look into. Another possibility (unfortunately a little
too much for the remaining budget right now) might be an MFJ-852
receiver with a UHF to VHF converter in front of it, all mounted on
a multi-element yagi. That could be a winning combination if I can
come up with a suitable converter. Size and power consumption are
very important issues. This would have the advantage of a signal
strength meter which the other options wouldn't.

Paul