Re: [RFI] Introduction - power line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Introduction - power line noise
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 18:56:33 -0400
Thanks. At present I doubt I will need to use HF to track this down
but we will see how it goes. I'm finding considerable ambiguity when
tracking at 135 MHz with the MFJ-856 but I think it would be
beneficial to go higher in frequency rather than lower. Even using
all the tricks I'm aware of... peaks and nulls of the antenna,
polarization of the antenna, attenuation, walking all the way around
poles to take readings... I am all too often identifying adjacent
pairs of poles as "noisy". This doesn't feel right to me. I suspect
only one of each pair is the actual source. In three separate
locations, the power company investigator found one, but not both of
my "adjacent pair" poles noisy. Tips? Tricks?

In one case, I can easily hear noise with the MFJ-856 from 3/4 mile
away with *nothing* but forest between me and the offending pole(s).
Within a 1/2 mile radius, I can clearly hear the peaks and nulls at
half wave intervals along the line as I walk with the antenna
pointed upward toward the line. As I get within 1/4 mile, things get
very confusing with what I currently believe to be re-radiation from
most poles in the area. Very near the source I find several poles
with essentially equal noise levels, but I don't believe they are
all sources. At that point I am using 45 dB of attenuation to keep
the S meter from being pegged at full scale regardless of antenna
heading. Instinctively I feel there is one, or at most two offending
poles, but at 135 MHz I just can't pinpoint it. This strikes me as a
fairly serious noise. Even the local 2 meter FM repeater, 25 watts 5
miles away line of sight is quite "rough copy" in that immediate area.

A better description of my RFI issue:

I operate 160 through 6 meters with emphasis on 160 and 6. I use
directional antennas... Beverages on 160 and a 7 element yagi on 6
meters. Ten years ago all was quiet, but noise levels have been
creeping up for a long time. At least two new strong sources
appeared this Spring, making things really ugly. On 6 metes my S
meter is never below S9 when pointed southeast or northwest, except
in heavy rain or after several hours of moderate rain. Once
sufficient rain has fallen, all bands are absolutely free of noise,
every time. There are now multiple sources, concentrated in those
directions since that is looking up/down the lines passing my house
(13+ kV distribution line with 46 kV transmission line above). I can
hear various sources cutting in and out, as all but two are
intermittent even in dry weather.

I'm not sure what else to add, but if anyone wants more information,
just ask.

73,
Paul N1BUG