[RFI] Fw: WAY OT - antenna on fiberflass vehicle

To: "RFI Reflector" <RFI@Contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Fw: WAY OT - antenna on fiberflass vehicle
From: "Jim Miller KG0KP" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:26:32 -0600
Tell them you want it for a fiberglass boat.  NO ground needed.  No wires to
frame, no swr problems because of bad connections or too long a run to the
frame.

Look for the antennas that can be used on fiberglass boats. I have a Comet
that is no longer made in the configuration I have but it is basically a
collinear and does not require a ground plane and can be mounted anywhere or
even hung in a tree.  Mine is the mobile version and is 4.5 dbi VHF and 7.2
dbi UHF and at the time it cost $100 without the mount and is about 60
inches tall.  A minimum 5 inch magmount is required to hold it upright if
you were to use magmounts but not on the Vette.  You can use any kind of
clamp available because it does NOT need a ground plane.

"They" make a mount that attaches INSIDE the trunk or hood and folds up with
a flat formed metal piece that fits the joint to bring it out at the
hood/trunk lid and fender joint.  Corvette - Out of the way when you don't
want to see it and available by folding it up.  Have one built if you can't
find one.

CALL these people and ASK if these antennas can be used on a fiberglass
boat.

Comet SBB-7 or SBB-7NMO - I think this is the replacement of the one I have.

http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=4&childID=4

Diamond SG7900A also this same type.

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/Product_Catalog/mobile.html

I have used mine many places without ground plane and the swr is just fine,
even with an insulator taped to the tip and drug up into a tree for needed
height on a support mission.  This type of antenna is hi gain and very
versatile.

73, de Jim KG0KP