Re: [CQ-Contest] "DX Special" by K1TR for 40M?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "DX Special" by K1TR for 40M?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:39:50 -0700
On 3/22/2024 4:00 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
W6NL wrote the following post and article on broadband dipoles:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/1997-11/msg00695.html
https://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/Nov-Dec2018/Leeson.pdf

Dave told me about ten years ago when I asked if he minded that I wrote it up,that the concept was much older than him, and that he had been teaching it for years.

I went through the concept as part of a tutorial on using SimSmith for transmission line calcs, and for designing matching networks. It's here.

http://k9yc.com/PacificonSmithChart.pdf

There's another method of broadbanding that involves using sections of transmission line as part of the dipole. It was published in one of the very nice ARRL Antenna Compendiums. Over the years, I've acquired a set. I'd go look it up, but they're in an outbuilding with the shack, and it's raining a lot. :) N6BV told me about 15 years ago that a lot the pieces in those books never made it to QST.

73, Jim K9YC