Re: [CQ-Contest] "Back in the day" -- Single- or Multi-op?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Back in the day" -- Single- or Multi-op?
From: Edward Sawyer <EdwardS@advanced-conversion.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 22:39:22 +0000
Back in the 70s and into mid 80s, you needed a person to maintain the dupe
sheet and to scream out DUUUUUPE as they found it.  It definitely slowed down
one operator back then to do both.  FD allowed this.  To my knowledge, other
contests did not.  But maybe it was done anyway.  Not sure.

Today, any good op would comment that having someone "log for me" would be a
disaster and clearly slow me down.  So the real question is, why would someone
want to hurt themselves in single op with a logging op.  Not, why wouldn't they
be unfair and illegal to the category.   NO ONE is going to win a single op
category contest with another op just "logging for them".

Now if they are using cluster and prepping the radio with loud easy fills while
an op is running, that's a different story.

Ed  N1UR