[CQ-Contest] R: ARRL DX CW Results - Did Anyone Else Notice?

To: Cq Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] R: ARRL DX CW Results - Did Anyone Else Notice?
From: r-emails@n5ot.com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:20:45 -0500
Matt, thanks for posting. Of course everyone in the conversation is interested in what you have to say. I will try to keep my comments brief and on-topic.

Your posts convince me I am right by urging us to move the conversation away from CEPT. It turns out CEPT is a big mud pit way out in the weeds. There is no reason to talk about CEPT, when it is easier to talk about whether or not it is okay for someone to use their FCC license the way you used yours.

That is easier and more sensible.

Your posts explain your opinion about what FCC rules mean. I appreciate your sharing your opinion about it. I'm curious if you (Matt) or the contest sponsor (ARRL), have actually asked the FCC what they think, or if you are guessing at the answer. That should determine if your score should stand or if your operation was in violation of the rules of your FCC license.

To clarify, W5OV did say "We consulted with the FCC on this specific matter" but the specific matter he is talking about (CEPT) is not the one I am asking about here (FCC License). CEPT is not the question. I get it they are intertwined, but at the end of the day, the FCC should be able to say YES it was within FCC rules for Matt to use his USA license the way he did -or- NO it was not. It sounds like it's possible the FCC said something like "it's CEPT there is nothing we can do" but of course I could be wrong which is why I am asking the guy who had the conversastion. Bob, if you will clarify that the FCC specifically said that what Matt did is allowed under FCC rules, I feel sure the issue will end and everyone will be satisfied. Thank you for graciously accepting doubt in a respectful and courteous forum.

I totally understand that maybe FCC never considered this question and did not have an answer. Oops. We are all human, after all. That will just show us (me, you, ARRL, FCC) where we need to improve.

Matt, thank you again for weighing in.

73 - Mark N5OT