[CQ-Contest] Update - Spoofed Spots 2021 CQ WW Contest

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Update - Spoofed Spots 2021 CQ WW Contest
From: John Dorr <cqk1ar@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:32:16 -0500
All,

As you know, there was an intentional spoofing attack on the spotting
networks during last year's CQ WW contests. Over the course of the past few
months, I've been keeping you up-to-date with our investigation.

As of this moment, I am pleased to report that we have identified the
individual behind this attack. Shortly after the contests, several sysops
were able to report that the IP associated with the spots was located in
Italy. However, that IP was not the spotter's native location, but rather
simply his Internet host. We were subsequently able to further identify the
user's specific PTR record, which was associated with the company that he
manages. A smoking gun, as is often said.

Contesting has always been a sport that requires honor and mutual respect
among its participants. It is always disappointing when there is an example
of that trust being broken.

While I'm not going to publicly identify this individual for a number of
good reasons, he is located in Italy.  Given that a number of local Italian
contesters are aware of his identity, I suggest that local peer pressure is
the most appropriate course of action.

Thanks to all who supported this investigation -- it was truly a team
effort. Hopefully, these events are now behind us.

73, John, K1AR

CQ WW Contest Director