Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2021
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 18:42:43 +0000 (UTC)
The more troubling change to me is the essentially no-limits distributed
multiops. Competitive Multi-op, especially multi-multi, over the years has been
a category for conspicuous consumption station builders, combined with the
chance for folks to spend a weekend hanging out with other serious contesters.
With COVID I understand a place for distributing some stations over a
relatively small geographical area. And likewise having remote operators
operating a station with the equipment and antennas in one place.  But having a
multi with transmitters and receivers in Maine and in Miami, and anywhere in
between, switching back and forth between bands to take advantage of
propagation advantages from a particular location, is crazy. While this change
is presently just for WPX, if it is also a test run for CQWW, it's a very bad
idea.
While over the years I've done a lot of multi-ops from K8AZ, mostly in the ARRL
and CQWW DX tests, operating as part of a "multi" while sitting at my own
station leaves me cold. And the contests benefit from having more calls
available to work, rather than putting in single call "multi" efforts tying up
lot of stations and people.

73  -  Jim  K8MR