Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion

To: CQ-Contest Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:05:39 -0400
On Jun 29, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Kelly Taylor wrote:

> Hi Mike
> Your point is well-taken, however, I don't think anybody here is
> advocating a 'berating' of anybody.
>
> It never hurts to gently persuade folk to choose the right path,
> even if just by example.

        Yup. What I try to do is to give a short tutorial. Then when the new
guy or gal makes a mistake, I'll first tell them don't worry, then
I'll explain what they might try next, such as not calling the person
doing the CQ's callsign back to them. That is one that can be a real
nuisance when I'm operating, since I mindlessly type the first
callsign  I hear in the log. That is a hard one to break, because
technically the newbie is doing the right thing.

        Sometimes they are afraid to do anything, log or operate. Then I ask
them to copy the callsigns and exchange on paper to "verify" my
typing. Work 'em in slowly.

        I usually volunteer to help out the new folks at FD, mostly because
of my patience and sweet personality. HAR!!!

        Well, I'm at least patient. At any rate, I find the retention/
acquisition rate is a lot better when they are handled gently those
first QSO's

> If a 'newbie' walks in to your tent while you're running stations
> at 150 an hour, not saying "please copy," not answering a station
> and then waiting for him to give his exchange, not S&Ping by saying
> "KB3EIA this is VE4XT" and not needing a person sitting next to you
> logging (and missing half the calls the first time), and then walks
> to the tent where the guy is doing all of that and running at 25 an
> hour, he'll get the hint.

        Very true.

> All without having berated anyone.
>
> Sounds like your FD example was run by a bunch of very poor Elmers
> who need to up their intake of Metamucil.

                Hehe, They were all good folk, just once in a while the
competitive
juices overwhelmed their patience, and they scared the kids! ;^)

        - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -