Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion
From: "Warren C. Stankiewicz" <nf1j@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:09:05 -0700
I've long said and held the belief that Field Day is an important part of
the shared experiences that is ham radio. Everyone has a good Field Day
story. Or, they should have. I have a lot of them, several of which I Will
Not Relate In A Family Forum.

No, it's not a contest--it's an operating event. As an event, it
accomplishes several things.

It gets a lot of groups some great publicity, both in media, and with our
local neighbors. I can't think of a better chance to get Joe Q Public to
find out more about who we are, and what we do.

It gets a lot of people on the air who probably wouldn't get on anyhow.
Remember how the Novice/Tech stations used to get some hams on the air for
their very first QSOs? I bet there's more than one ham on this reflector who
got his first taste of HF operating the fourth full weekend of June.

Best of all, it's one of the best ways I know of to introduce everyday hams
to the delight that is ham radio contesting. It's your big, once-a-year
chance to show off your stuff, and show them how it's done. If I have to
choose between getting some local guy into my shack during a contest that
matters, or just popping by a local club for a couple of hours and showing
some folks the tricks, tips, and techniques of running and S&P, I know the
latter will attract more interest.

Remember, everyone has to start somewhere. Somewhere, back in our dark and
distant pasts, we were just as wet-behind-the-ears as many of today's hams
are. Not only does FD give us a chance to show them the right way to do
things, it proves the fundamental point that ham radio is FUN. A lot of
people lose sight of that.

As far as the D station discussion, seeing how the weather in large parts of
the country was pretty suboptimal, you probably would have had a tough time
getting me out in a tent somewhere, too. Six straight FD's at W1AW in the
90's left me spoiled. Ahh, air conditioning...

With malice towards none,

Warren, NF1J/6