[CQ-Contest] Re: <no subject>

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: <no subject>
From: Home.Peter.Casier@wfp.or.ug (Home.Peter.Casier@wfp.or.ug)
Date: Sat May 8 11:48:54 1999
someone wrote:

"I think this is a strikingly bad idea.  (snip) Features such as
verifying validity of an entry, 'computing' zones from call
prefixes, and other program-provided assistance violates the
spirit of "my skill against their skill.
"

Hmm. the competing grounds are very unleveled anyway, and the computer
aid is only a very small part of the advantages one has against the
other.
Others are more significant unlevelling. One has a two element
tribander and a richer neighbour has a 6-6-6-6 stack.
One lives in a second world country and uses a drifting home made
radio with a backyard amplifier 300 watts amplifier, the other one has
three FT1000's with alpha 86's and remote controlled rotators and
antenna switches as single op, with 10 square miles for beverages.
One has cluster access to one standalone cluster with 5 users, the
other one has access to a mega cluster with 3,000 users spotting.

'My skill against their skill' is not possible anymore unless in
leveled ground tests like the WRTC they had in California (and even
then..).

A very wise expression from my friend KK6EK is: "The times when we all
made our radios from dirt is long gone. Technology is here, and is to
be used.." He mainly meant it for expeditions, but it is also valid
for contests. And I agree with him.

I for one have a huge call check database. Apart from contests, it is
very valuable in expeditions or just being from the DX side.

The French say: 'Les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas'
meaning flavours and colours can not be discussed (or agreed upon). I
think this subject falls into the category where we can not all agree,
but exchange opinions on. hi.

See you guys in Dayton. Will give a presentation in the contest forum
on contesting from Africa, and the 'lost' multipliers which you guys
all miss. hi.

73-Peter
ON6TT/5X1T