[3830] TBDC K5PI(@W5KFT) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, robert.k5pi@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K5PI(@W5KFT) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:55:43 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 30

Call: K5PI
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 12:55

Total:  QSOs = 343  Total Score = 2,031

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

The best laid plans . . .

The center fed sloper at 150' at W5KFT has been working great.  And it worked
fine on Thursday night as I made a few dozen digital Qs at about 500 watts.  But
when I tuned up the amp to full power, the SWR shot way up.  100 watts, no
problem. Turns out the ISP has a loose cable at the top of the tower that
touched the top of the sloper.  (Zip ties to secure cables - really?!)

So I ran 100W.  It wasn't that bad, really.  (Yeah, I know it was YOU that had
to suffer my puny signal!)  I was able to work 99% of everyone I heard.  Okay,
so not first call.

The noise level was very low here.  The two beverages (NE and NW) and two VE3DO
loops (SE and SW) worked very well after a couple half days trudging in the
pasture.  I used the AY Technolgies RAS-8 8X2 RX antenna switch that had
belonged to K5NA (RIP, Richard).  He'd forgotten more about Top Band than I ever
knew.

Propagation seemed just okay.  Very few big signals, no EU heard.  Worked two
JAs, one KH6, one KL7, a handful of Caribbeans.

Participation seemed down.  I'll do more nagging next time - hope you will too.