[3830] ARRL 10 VR2XAN SO SSB Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vr2xan@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VR2XAN SO SSB Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:01:08 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: VR2XAN
Operator(s): VR2XAN
Station: VR2XAN

Class: SO SSB Unlimited HP
QTH:

   CW:
  SSB: 1919   155
-------------------
Total: 1919   155  Total Score = 594,890

Club: Italian Contest Club

Comments:

Once again, very unstable propagation.
The first day was pretty decent. Very good opening to the EU both SP and LP.
An unexpected very long opening (almost 5 hours from 11.00 UTC to 16.00 UTC)
towards Central America, the Caribbean and North America via the Long Path. But
most of the signals were quite weak (S0-S1)

The second day was bad. Morning opening with the US has been short (from 23.00
UTC to 00.30 UTC), and the pile-up was very, very slow.
Also, the propagation to the EU was not wide open like the first day (both Short
and Long Path). On the second day, the propagation via the Long Path to the US
was unstable and shorter than the first day.

I was wondering why stations from the Caribbean, Central and North America do
not point more often their antennas to the Long Path.
NP2X was very loud (S9) for more than 2 hours. He even spotted me a few times
but... no other stations from that area called me. On the second day, when VY2OM
decided to point the antenna LP (he was S7) I was finally able to work him;
otherwise, there were no chances to work any station from the East Coast via
SP.

Unfortunately, on the second day, I had an intermittent noise when pointing the
antenna LP to the US. For this reason, I was not able to copy a lot of US
stations that were calling me, including a station from OA4 (I missed that
mult).
I worked only two stations from XE.

Propagation is still unstable and not at the same level as in 2014.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2024 to all fellow contesters.

73 de VR2XAN, Alberto

RTX Icom 7600 + Amp
2x 5el LJ105CA + 1 3el LJ103BA
DX Engineering PS-3B PRO-STACK Three Antenna Phasing + Units DXE-PS-3B