[3830] ARRL 160 N1LN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N1LN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 12:01:25 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

Total:  QSOs = 1152  Sections = 78  Countries = 31  Total Score = 274,680

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was an ARRL 160 CW to remember. Starting with the conditions, in one word
– AWFUL! I was optimistic based on my first three hours with an average rate
of 132. I should have known something was up (or down) as my first EU in the log
was just over 4 hours in at 0209 UTC which was much later than usual. My second
clue was with the absence of W6, W7 and western Canadian mults. Night one was
not a total loss as a total of 57 five point Qs were in the log with 51 of them
from Europe.  I actually had somewhat of an EU sunrise run from 0542 to 0754
with 44 of the 57 five point Qs coming from EU and delivering a much needed
increase in the mult total. I shut down at 0915 UTC and,as KH6 was already in
the log and due to the conditions, I was not going to get up for a possible JA
mult. I was optimistic that night 2 would be better.

Welcome to night two. FINALLY some western multipliers started to show up on
Skimmer. The multiplier count was moving in the right direction now. I was
fortunate to add a few southern mults including a YV4, but what happened to
Europe? My first EU was at 0118, almost one hour earlier than night 1. Once
again – OPTIMISTIC! However, by the end of night 2 I only added 10 more EU Qs
and there was no EU sunrise. My 5 point Q count ended at 72. Fortunately, the EU
Qs added 5 more multipliers. Off to bed at 0747 UTC. Once again the decision was
not to get up for one mult. Sunday morning I was on at 1236 UTC for less than 1
hour as we had plans. 8 more Qs got in the log and then my 2023 ARRL 160 ended.

All components of my score were well below last year. Qs were down 140, Sections
were down 5 and countries were down 4. That resulted in my score being down by
just over 52,000 points. I missed AK, LAX, EWA, ID, SK, TER and NL. Considering
the conditions I am happy with the results, but certainly looking toward
CQWW-160 CW and better band conditions. Well, there is one thing that might
impact CQ 160. I am having a knee replacement a couple weeks before and my BIC
time may be limited.

What did Roseann Roseannadanna say?  “There is always something, if it is not
one thing it is another”.

73,
Bruce N1LN

Rig info is on QRZ.com for N1LN