[3830] CQWW CW KC1XX M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, matt@kc1xx.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KC1XX M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:03:53 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: KC1XX
Operator(s): W1FV K1QX DK9PY KM3T DL4NAC WO1N KC1XX K1TR DM5EE WA1Z DL5NEN K1GQ
K1OA
Station: KC1XX

Class: M/M HP
QTH: New Hampshire

  160:   452    21       82
   80:  1332    29      111
   40:  2261    38      133
   20:  2301    39      145
   15:  2508    38      148
   10:  2249    36      145
-------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

For the past few years there was simply no good reason to get motivated and
participate in the ultimate contesting game, multi multi.
The effort to put a multi multi together is enormous and there was simply not
enough or no competition worth doing it for.

This all changed when our good friend Krassy, K1LZ and his amazing team put
together one of the biggest and most advanced contest stations right on the
Canadian border in Maine.

Unlike the “Cicadas”, we knew that anyone that puts in that type of effort
is here to stay for many years. Last year, three of our core team went up to
check out the new station which at that time was not completely built but it was
already a huge undertaking and what they had put together was just phenomenal.
Krassy and his team did everything by the book and they finished the station in
2023.

When I returned from South America in April to the Arctic of New Hampshire, we
put our core team together and discussed the idea of trying a multi multi
against the ultimate team and station.

KC1XX was only set up for multi single or multi two at best.
A lot of work would have to go into the station to get it ready like a
battleship against Krassy. Everyone got excited about the idea and shortly there
after we started putting the plan together.

We started fixing antenna damage that occurred during the harsh winter, added
new antennas including a 2el Quad for 160 to EU and of course redesigned the
entire station for 12 operating positions.

We worked lots of days and just about every weekend on the station. We had to
purchase more radios, new computers, and just about every accessory known to
man. We also purchased YU1CF high-power bandpass filters and they worked
extremely well.
With the help from many team members, things started coming together. Bob WA1Z
worked endlessly on getting computers set up.
Bill, K1GQ did a phenomenal job helping us to get everything rewired and he was
here just about every weekend.
John W1FV and Marty NN1C put in days to get the Top band antennas ready.
Everyone just worked a lot of hours.

Besides building a station, a much greater challenges is to find enough good
operators to man all positions.

Being a member of one of the best contest clubs in the world, The Bavarian
Contest Club BCC, has its benefits. I started talking to Chris, DL1MGB if he
thought we could get a good team together for CQWW CW.
The recruiting began and at the end was extremely successful. We had put
together an amazing team but now we have another curveball thrown into the mix.
Four out of the five Germans coming for the contest had a connection in
Reykjavík on Iceland Air. With the volcano getting ready to blow up over there
we were not sure if the air space would have any problems.
At the end, all was good and the flights were on time.
We wish our friends in Grindavik, TF all the best.

One of our DL friends also came down with Covid and we had to see if he would be
fit in time for the battle.
All in all just an incredible effort to put something this big together. I had
to convert the house into the “Hotel X-ray” to get everyone comfortably
accommodated.

People started arriving and last minute preparations took place.
The team and the Station were ready go and it was incredible to see everyone so
fired up to give the US superstation at K1LZ a good competition.

W1FV with help from K1QX hoovered Top band.

WO1N and DL4NAC never met before but worked as a super team on 80m.

40m was run by WA1Z and DM5EE what a team they made.

DK9PY and KM3T took the 48 hour band on 20 and also never worked together
before. Hats off!

15m was the old team K1TR and KC1XX. However, Ed did more running as Matt had to
wear too many hats with feeding 14 hungry guys.

DL1MGB and NN1C also made a great team on 10m.
Like father and son!

Of course all bands were heavily supported by Tom DL5NEN and Scott K1OA. Both of
them were everywhere to give people a break. Great job!

Up until the very last second, the team worked extremely well and we are 17 QSOs
behind K1LZ with a score of around 30 million points.
It’ll be a log checker.

We only had one amplifier failure and one rotor kept hanging but the rest of the
station did just fine.

We would like to thank Krassy and his great team for an amazing contest weekend.
Nothing is better than great our friendship and we’d like to congratulate them
again to their amazing effort.

Thank you for all the QSO’s and QSY’s.
KC1XX and the entire team would like to thank each and everyone for calling us
on so many bands.

VY73, Matt and team.