[3830] CQWW CW ZL7IO(ZL3IO) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ZL7IO(ZL3IO) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 05:50:12 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: ZL7IO
Operator(s): ZL3IO
Station: ZL7DX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Chatham

  160:
   80:  222    19       45
   40:  643    27       67
   20:  504    29       72
   15:  965    30       72
   10: 1364    25       60
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

The CW part finishes the 2023 series of CQWW's which I've all done from Chatham
Island. They were all great fun with good results from this remote place.

Conditions were interesting and challenging. One always had to check if signals
(especially from EU) came "better" via long or short path. Long path
was mostly best, including 10 m. On the first day EU signals had a lot of aurora
flutter and echo. That alone can make copying hard. With most sitting zero beat
on top of each other nowadays plus those conds, it creates one bubbling mess and
is hard to decode. The clever ones call slightly off and get worked first. But
firing 40+ when we have flutter and echo makes decoding impossible (at least for
the brain of little old me). I wondered if those high speed gurus actually have
the same receiving experience at their end, probably not. Most of their
counterparts are likely local stations (local is within a few thousand km)
without those issues.

I was CQing 95% of the time and barely search for multipliers. Being the only
multiplier draws a lot multipliers to you. 20 m fell a bit down but rates and
even more so real estate on 10/15 were much better. It's much easier to find
& hold a frequency here.

Thank you all for the QSO's.
73 Holger
ZL7IO, ZL3IO, ZM4T