[3830] CQWW CW KH6AQ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, telegrapher9@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KH6AQ SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 01:59:41 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: KH6AQ
Operator(s): KH6AQ
Station: KH6AQ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Pahoa, Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 36:15

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   25     7        6
   40:  323    22       32
   20:  464    27       58
   15:  497    26       59
   10:  693    24       45
------------------------------

That was the best contest in a long time! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Months of
training and planning paid off better than I had imagined. Training consisted of
a few of months of daily LCWO practice at 800 call signs per hour as well as
other cool training features. I did trained with touch typing and have
finally--after 55 years--achieved "instant character recognition." A
character is sent and my fingers type with no conscious decoding. Finally. I
still have my S and H copy issues although the threshold has been pushed higher
in speed. More directed practice will fix that.

To better fit contesting from Hawaii I moved my bedtime from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
so that I can not only operate later, I can sleep through the 4-6 a.m.
propagation doldrums. With all of the training leading to much less mental
effort expended on the air, contest fatigue is reduced. Operating time was 10
hours on local Friday, 18 hours Saturday and 8 hours Sunday. Food intake was
high as is my contest norm.

Propagation was okay; not super but good enough for Europe on 15 meters from my
Europe-challenged QTH. 10 meters was very good the last few hours.

At the close of the contest:
SFI 180, SN 169
A 15, K1
BZ 0.4
SW 500

This contest marks two years since I was dragged into "real"
contesting by KH6LC and the gang. Up to that time I had been entirely a S&P
op. The terror of running a pileup is gone and I continue to improve.

Equipment

Yaesu FT-710 at 100 watts

Hexbeam up 33' on a homebrew self-supporting tilt-over mast

34' homebrew ground plane with two wire radials 8' above the ground plus a
MFJ-993BRT remote ATU at the antenna to tune it on 80 meters.

The FT-710 is the spare as the FTdx-10 is out for repairs. The FT-710 is a super
radio and at $800 I have no complaints. With the high local RFI levels here the
APF made 10 meter operation a success. While not as easy to invoke the APF BW
functions as the FTdx-10, it does the job well.