[3830] SS CW NH6O Single Op Limited-Ant QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW NH6O Single Op Limited-Ant QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 04:26:16 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: NH6O
Operator(s): NH6O
Station: NH6O

Class: Single Op QRP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: Honolulu HI
Operating Time (hrs): 2:30

Total:  24  Sections = 16  Total Score = 768

Park portable - Elecraft KX3, 9.5m end-fed 9:1 vertical wire in tree.

All contacts were between 2219-0046 near the end of the contest. I had hoped to
have a strong session on 10 and 15 meters, but Mother Nature threw the K-Index-7
geomagnetic storm about the time I wanted to start. In addition, terrestrial
weather was very windy with gusts of 35-40 mph.

I waited a few hours for band conditions to improve, albeit slightly, and
started after local noon. 10 meter CW was quiet, 15 had just a handful of
stations, and the bulk of the activity had migrated to 20. Signals were not
particularly strong, and I focused on working the strongest of them. CQing
didn't work for me despite getting skimmer spots - I had only one caller.

My station was fairly well braced for the ambient wind, but I was struggling
with hearing stations' exchanges over the howling winds despite over-the-ear
headphones. I probably miscopied a few more serial numbers than I would have in
a quiet shack. It really made me wish I could work a contest indoors again!

I made very few additional contacts after 0030z, and decided just to call it
quits - the remaining 2.5 hours weren't going to be productive for me anyway
with most everyone migrating to 40/80.

Hopefully next year high band conditions will be equally good, and without an
inopportune geomagnetic storm!

Thanks to all for the contacts and your patience with my tiny signal.

73/72,
Bob in Honolulu