[3830] CQWW SSB K5GN(@W5KU) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K5GN(@W5KU) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 06:06:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K5GN
Operator(s): K5GN
Station: W5KU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 43
OpMode: 2BSIQ

  160:   20     6       10
   80:   48    12       32
   40:  393    26       76
   20:  531    32      102
   15: 1155    32      107
   10: 1279    29      108
------------------------------

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

Sad, once again, to have the great pre-contest condx spoilt by poor solar
behavior.  The only thing more dismal was the poor operating practices of hams
who only identify after more than three QSOs.

Condx for me on Saturday morning were very very good on 15 and 10.  Sunday was
dismal.  Low bands were dismal both days.  I had some improvement on 20m with
improved antennas but not by much and it was more than offset by the difficult
condx on 40m.  I was feeling poorly as Saturday evening progressed and ended up
sleeping through European sunrise.  Not my best plan, but I just couldn't go
on.

Sunday night after the contest I read an email from a colleague with whom I had
a long one-on-one conversation on Thursday that his sniffles and sore throat had
become much worse and he tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday.  At that moment
I understood that my sore throat was not in response to hollering at the mike
and that my Sunday fatigue and fuzziness was not from too much radio time.

Congrats to K5TR and N2IC for their excellent scores in the W5 "local"
competition.

I really can't complain - when else can you bag DXCC on several bands in a
weekend of operating?  Here's hoping for even better things next year!

Dave K5GN