[3830] CQWW VHF N6GP/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N6GP/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 03:11:05 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2023

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: LAX

    6:   82    36
    2:   20     6
-------------------
Total:  102    42  Total Score = 5,124

Was super-busy the week before, and I had no time to get ready Friday night like
I usually do.  Arrived at Summjt House Fullerton DM13 30 minutes after the
contest
started.  Tried out this site, alocaDM12.  Struggled a bit with DM04.  No
openings, and local activity was fairly low.  Where were the DM03 ops? Surprised
to hear fT8 on 2m.  Stayed only 2 hours.  Took a lunch break and visited a
friend for a bit.  Went out to DM14 and tried to boot my laptop, but it was
dead.  I swore I left the house with it charged.  With so much digital activity
requiring
the laptop, I could not continue, and did not activate DM14 as I planned.
Charged my laptop a bit, and made some QSOs from my driveway.
Got out the door at 8AM and went to Signal Hill for DM03. The plan was to
activate
2 more grids, but 6 opened up nicely double hop to the Maryland area.  Very
spotlighty.  Specific to FM19 and FM18.  Decided to stay there til the end,
rather than spend 1 hour to get to the next grid in LA traffic.
Tried to operate 2 radios with 1 laptop (not SO2R).  Did not work well.
Need to figure out how to switch config files to switch radios.  Either
that or run to sessions of WSJT with 2 sessions of N3FJP.  I also need
to contact N3FJP to allow switching to phone mode while WSJT running.

Us locals really need to think seriously about using FT4 for local QSOs.
Wish CQ had a low power rover category.  Hard to compete against a 2K amp.

Best QSO was DM03 to EN91 with Brian K3USC, who I hsve been trying to work
on 6 ever since I met him on Facebook.  PAR Moxons on both ends!

25 QSOS DM13
77 QSOS DM03

29 phone
73 digital    3 ft4  70 ft8