[3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimkb3aft@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 02:22:35 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2023

Call: KO9A
Operator(s): KO9A
Station: KO9A

Class: SO 3Band-All Modes LP
QTH: EN52xc
Operating Time (hrs): 31
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  549   211
    2:  111    48
  222:
  432:   21    12
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  681   271  Total Score = 190,242

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

ARRL June VHF is the best, isn't it?  Es, Meteors, tropo, scatter, and lots and
lots of activity!  From a little guy perspective (no tower, small roof mounted
antennas), this is it, our Superbowl.

6m:  Enhancement of various flavors was present virtually the entire contest.
No big DX openings this year, but the band was good to the SE through NW for
much of the weekend.  Morning meteors were outstanding.  Substantial 2xEs were
present to the west on Sunday in addition to extremely short hop when 2m
opened.

2m:  Tropo was ordinary to suppressed with the weather overhead and no
significant front-side/back-side enhancement observed.  Morning meteors were
outstanding.  Most 2m attempts finished quickly with 6m like speed.  Es to FL,
TX, and CO on Sunday was amazing and will make this one memorable for a very
long time.

70cm:  Spent as little time as possible here, just working passed QSOs from 6 or
2 and monitoring the digi watering hole when idle trying to snag those I heard
CQing.

Mode breakdown (w/dupes):
FT8 - 422
SSB - 209
CW -   27
FT4 -  22
MSK -  22
FM -    3

Rates - Best hour here was 50 (40 on 6, 10 on 2) during hour 1.  Given the prop,
it was disappointing to not be able to get a significant sustained SSB run
going.  The best I could muster was some short 4-5 minute long QSO bursts then
minutes of nothing.  Bouncing between the various mode options was the only way
for me to keep things going, but it was slow & steady the entire way.  I
probably should have spent more time on FT4.

Strategy:  I tried to focus 95% on 6m, hitting SO2V as hard as possible(one vfo
always on digi, the other always analog) while managing rig #2 on 2m/70cm,
primarily digi.  From my QTH, I feel like using SSB for rate and digi as a
"mult machine" in a 50/50 split is optimal, so I probably spent too
much time chasing digi QSOs.

Thanks everyone for the QSOs & fun!

73

Jim KO9A