[3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex@kr1st.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 00:56:50 +0000

      Beko HLV-1000-222 (222)
      Gemini 70-1k (432)
      Gemini 23 (1296)
Ants: M2 6M3 (50)
      M2 2M9SSB (144)
      M2 222-10EZ (222)
      M2 432-6WL (432)
      Wimo SHF-2367 (1296)

This was just a part time effort poking around the bands for a few hours here
and there. I always have mixed feelings about this contest when 6 meters is open
for much of the contest. It's fun to work so many stations on 6m, but you can
hardly call it a VHF contest anymore. And if you happen to be outside the Es
cloud(s), what exactly is the competition about? The top scoring single band
efforts are evident of that. Heck, we may as well call it a digital mode contest
while we're at it. :)

It was nice to see many stations on FT4 although I wish more folks would realize
how effective of a mode FT4 can be when 6m is open as it has been over the past
weekend. There really is no point sitting on .313 calling endless CQ's while you
can't hear folks coming back to your call because somewhere along the path the
signal of the other person gets clobbered. Start on .318 with FT4 and if gets
crowded, just move up the band and use the big knob, just as you would in a RTTY
contest. Of course you could do the same on FT8, but if it gets that crowded you
should consider switching to FT4. I often wonder how many QSO's are missed
simply because people only crowd 3kHz of space.

I also had some fun Sunday afternoon testing my little microwave SDR setup on
Camelback Mountain at the great W3CCX multi-op station. Since there are no
active microwave stations nearby, this was a great opportunity for me to do a
bit of proof-of-concept testing. Since I've never operated .9, 2.4, 3.4, and 5.7
GHz before, these were all firsts for me. Thanks to the operators at W3CCX for
indulging me with this experiment!

Thanks for all the QSO's and I hope to see you again in the CQ WW VHF contest.

73,
--Alex KR1ST

Contest: ARRLVHFJUN
 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q