[3830] CWopsT KJ5T Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve@kj5t.net
Subject: [3830] CWopsT KJ5T Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 04:37:53 +0000
                    CWops Test (CWT) - 0300Z May 4

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: KJ5T

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): :52

Total:  22  Mults = 22  Total Score = 484

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

It has been quite some time since I entered QRP for the CWT.  I love operating
QRP with my KX2.  For CW contesting and the KX2 I had originally used the KY
command with N1MM.  Last year though I wiped Windows 10 off my personal laptop
and went back to Linux (Fedora).  I had set-up "macros" using rigctl
to send the CAT commands to generate code on the KX2.  This worked some of the
time but at times would have lag or I would have issues and to avoid sounding
like a lid I didn't really want to use this on the air anymore.

Fast forward, since I will be activating a park again for Field Day I wanted to
be able to send Morse using my laptop and I didn't want to have to get cables
for the MicroKeyer III for the KX2 and that would be way overkill anyways to
haul to the state park.  I opted to go with the K1EL WKMini which seemed like
the perfect solution.

Thanks to PE7T's work on the winkeydaemon to have a flag that inhibits PTT I was
able to get the WKMini working with the KX2 without having to modify any cables.
 Tested it out tonight and the CW was great and very easy in yfktest to adjust
the CW speed on the fly.

I was pretty weak for some reason on 40 and 80 tonight.  Not sure how I sounded
on 20 but seemed to get more callers on the first try on that bad and less
requests for repeats.

I will certainly be QRP again more frequently in the CWTs but will probably
crank up the power at times so I am not always in the mud.

73 de KJ5T