[3830] SS CW KD7HU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW KD7HU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 17:50:45 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: KD7HU
Operator(s): KD7HU
Station: KD7HU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MT

Club: Big Sky Contesters

Comments:

Station:  FTDX101MP....( a GREAT contesting rig by the way with the 300hz
filter)
Antenna:  A bazooka ground mounted vertical hidden in a tree
          A NVIS 40 meter dipole up 20 feet
 I am a little gun station in an antenna hostile environment.

Despite being a ham for 51 years I only have been contesting for two years. I
took it up in retirement.  Better late than never. My CW speed is about 28-30
wpm but always seems inadequate in running a frequency.

Thoughts on SS this year:
The morning of the contest I was double checking the SWR on my 40m dipole and
noted with horror that it's SWR had changed after the leaves of the trees came
down and I was going to be working with a higher SWR than I would like. This
also made it impossible to use it on 15m...so there went my three band plan.

Propagation:   Not much from the north at my QTH. AK was absent.  A few Canadian
provinces. Propagation was fair.  40m gave the rarer multipliers.

Biggest surprise:  Working 69 sections including VI and PR.   For some reason
WTX was hard but I finally snagged it on 40m. I always have a "skip
shadow" without 80m capabilities making Wyoming and SD hard.  New England
is always a challenge for me as well.  I believe RI is a mythical island.

Biggest contest glitch:  Having my computer freeze up while attempting to run a
frequency leaving a few people frustrated trying to get the MT multiplier. This
happened more than once.

Since I improved my previous score.....I must be getting better....slowly. I
need to run more however. My Q's per hour leave a lot to be desired. I wish I
did this when I was MUCH younger.

                       73's
                       KD7HU