[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE7XF SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE7XF SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 19:33:06 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: near Vancouver

   15:  454    89
Total:  454    89  Total Score = 120,951

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

BIG NEWS: 15m crosses the Rockies!

Tnx to the elevated flux and SS numbers, and the increased daylight, my score
is much better than the CW event (325/63/61,425) (even though I don't like SSB
that much). I was able to run a few Eu on Sunday for the first time since
2005.

I didn't get started until Saturday morning - the few Eu stns were weak, and
mostly on a skewed path from 120 deg. (direct path is 30 deg.). But Sunday just
after 1600z, the Europeans were arriving via direct path, and strong enough that
I could run a bit, maybe 75 Qs or so in a row, instead of hearing those on the
other side of the Rockies run Eu that I couldn't hear :-(

Mults:  EU:34,  AF:6,  NA:22,  SA:13,  OC:8,  AS:6
You guys in the rest of the continent may chuckle at my results, but I think
it's pretty good for VE7, considering the cycle and condx.
Tnx to the JAs for 1/3 of my Qs - easy to run them on both afternoons.

The new KDVR in the K3 sounded good (well, no complaints :-), and interfaced
well with N1MM (once I figured out a few things).
Would that the rest of the world sounded as good as I did.

Bring on the WPX!

Ralph, VE7XF