[3830] CQWW CW AF6EV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AF6EV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:23:12 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AF6EV
Operator(s): AF6EV
Station: AF6EV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 5.6

  160:
   80:    5     3        4
   40:   39    13       10
   20:   69    26       18
   15:   13     8        7
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This contest was a lot of fun for me. My only regret is I couldn't put more time
into it. The holiday weekend makes it real hard to find time to operate, with
family obligations and all. I'm pretty happy with my score from my little
station. My rate was much better per hour than my SSB effort. It was a pleasure
having OPs answer my call the first time, unlike my SSB experience. Thanks to
all for pulling my small signal out.

I put up a 80M loop for this contest on the advice of K6GEP and KD4HXT(thanks
Tim and Dave). My 80M performance was not stellar, but at least I got on. The
antenna really shined on 40 with a 20 db improvement in S/N ratio over my
dipole. It also has a good lobe to the northeast on 20M, which improved the
signal from Europe by an S unit. I have no conclusive results on 15M as the
band was not too active the times I checked. I'm looking forward to using this
in future contests. I also need to work on getting it a little higher.

Station details:
Rig FT450 @100W
Antennas: Fan dipole @25ft, 80M loop @20ft average.
Tuner: MFJ-949E