[3830] CQWW CW W3HKK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W3HKK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:03:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W3HKK
Operator(s): W3HKK
Station: W3HKK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 19.3

  160:   34     9       23
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   66    17       45
   20:   34    17       22
   15:    0     0        0
   10:  404    30      103
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Finding it harder, at 82, to put in the hours I'd like, but still fun taking the
plunge.

The  no-tower, modest, essentially all-wire antenna farm here includes a home
brew  10m Moxon at 22ft,  two element  vertical phased arrays for 20m and 40m,
and a 53 ft vertical leg 1/4 wave INV-L  (with 26 radials) for 160m.

RIG:  IC-7610 to an ACOM 1000 amp, and SAL-30 rx antenna for 160-40m.

OBSERVATIONS:

160  surprised  me with a nice opening into EU around midnight Friday night, so
I stayed up a bit late.  However, my  2023 objectives were to  work as many DX
entities as possible, so I opted out of 80 and 15m, and focused  on  10m where I
had my mighty home brew Moxon at 22' which  in recent contests proved it could
break most pile ups and work anybody anywhere, so long as I could hear them.
...which is too much fun to resist.  And I used 40/20 to pick up  a few entities
and zones.   According to N1MM+ I logged 19.3 hrs OTA, but that included the
much more frequent breaks needed to  stretch and even hop on the   exercise bike
for a half hour to get blood flowing and shake out the kinks.  ( It really
works!)

10M had a good opening into  EU ( though not much from the northern latitudes)
plus contacts in 103 countries and 34 of the 40 zones.  Sat and Sun from late
afternoon til 2330z  there were many sigs from SA, the Pacific, and  Asia (
which was my main target.)

44 JA's, 39 VE's, 35 PY's, 24 EA's, 22 DL's,  21 each F and I, and 20 each G and
LU made it into the log.

At times  KH2L and 4W8Z were banging in through the US pile up!  as was the 7O,
plus seven LOUD KL's, and a ton of VE7-6-5 stations. I love the surprises of
3B8/3B9/3V/4L/FR8/HZ/ZL7 to go alaong with Asian mults of
BY/DU/HL/JA/UA9/UN/YB.
It was fun during the closing  hours to see new JA's spotted up and down the
band.  As soon as Id finish a sweep of the 10m band, Id refresh and  see another
handful.  It was like mowing the lawn.   Signals  werent the strongest but even
  JA's that were just above the noise were  pulling me through.  Great ops those
JA's!

Propagation:   Friday night   seemed a bit disturbed and 10m was dead at the
start, but gradually improved each day, peaking Sun eve with a nice JA /Asian
run. Around noontime on Sun 10m went quiet, so I took a nap. And when I came
back a few hours later,  EU was again pounding in and the PY-LU-CE guys were
loud as well.  And even some Pacific Islands were  coming through   in the early
afternoon.

I would imagine 15m  was a great place to be but  I was busy enough on 10 and
didnt even take a look.  My mistake?  Following the MUF down can be very
productive but 10m was producing  enough fun to keep me busy.

Id  rate propagation an "8" on 10m.  Asia was much more copiable this
year, but without any truly massive/loud openings. With a SSN=168 and a K=2,
things were good  on the HF bands!