[3830] CQWW CW KA1IS SO(A)SB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tkzic@megalink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KA1IS SO(A)SB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 04:19:10 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SO(A)SB40 HP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 31:21

   40: 1703    34      126
------------------------------
Total: 1703    34      126  Total Score = 787,840

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Didn't finish fixing antennas before the Wednesday storm and Thanksgiving plans.
But was happy to try 40 Meters again, after some success last year.

This was the first contest in the new shack during winter conditions. There is a
small propane heater, but hardly ever used it. The heat from the amplifier was
perfect. When my rate fell, so did the temperature.

Friday night was unbelievable. Almost too easy. Strong signals and interesting
multipliers. 4L, 4J, C3, 3B9, 7O, GS7, KH8/s, 3D2, 4W. It was like someone
opened a can of instant DXCC. All that was about to change. Shortly after EU
sunrise, signals had that telltale watery sound.

Looking at last years log I was expecting to start running to Europe shortly
after 1700z (local noon). That never happened. The first decent run came at
about 1900z. So I used the time to knit a sweater and mow the lawn.

A few more stations from Japan and the Pacific on Sunday morning. Signals
sounded normal again. But no more multipliers. Whenever an interesting
multiplier appeared, the big guns would swoop in relentlessly to the point that
nobody could hear the DX. Much of the time they would just give up. The nature
of 40 Meters and instant spotting.

Sunday afternoon, the European opening was even later. One of the US multi
stations was higher up the band trying to work VE's to fill the log. When the
band did open, the pileups were fierce. But it was a joy to run weak signals and
use every trick I knew to keep an open run frequency. Thanks to all the great
European CW ops.

There was a nice opening to Asia, late in the contest. In fact, conditions were
very good except for the mind-numbing QRM that we celebrate with each new
contest.

Ended up with a slightly lower score than last year due to fewer QSO's. But
conditions Friday night more than made up for it. Also, Saturday the clear night
sky was incredible with a full moon and the usual array of stars and planets. I
was thinking about a book I just read called "Our Friends From Frolix
8", by Phillip K. Dick. In the book, one of the main characters is heading
home from the planet Frolix 8, and communicating with Earth on 40 Meters.

Antennas: 4 wire beams at about 40 feet. 4 elements NE. 3 elements in other
directions.

73,
Tom
KA1IS