[3830] CQWW CW K2AX M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bob_beyer@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K2AX M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 04:12:47 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K2AX
Operator(s): K2AX AK2S AA3K KE2D
Station: K2AX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NJ

  160:  101    13       49
   80:  211    19       79
   40:  521    29      112
   20:  705    37      125
   15: 1011    33      127
   10:  741    34      125
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

A few weeks ago I was dreaming of improving over last year on the hope of
possibly great propagation.  However, nothing ever goes exactly the way you
dream about so you make the best of it.  With this contest beginning right after
the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, many of us have other plans and commitments and
that makes gathering a team more challenging.  Some unforeseeable circumstances
make it even more complex.

Conditions seemed hot on Friday night at the start with an SFI of 194 and single
digit A and K indices.  We were 97% S&P that night with only a brief trial
run on 40m to see where we were heard by the skimmers.  Saturday seemed to start
well but then the A index shot up to 36 and settled at 38.  This made late
Saturday afternoon and evening more challenging and signals were clearly down.
By Sunday this had dropped into the teens and things improved a bit.  We had a
good run on 10m Saturday and another one on 15m Sunday.  Overall, I’d say 10m
seemed very good but maybe shy of amazing.  I always get a kick out of
unexpected DX from a direction other than where the antennas are pointed calling
while I’m running.  JH7VHZ called at 2102z (4:02 pm ET) Sunday on 20m while I
was trying to work the last of Europe before the band closed.  About 20 minutes
later I realized it was magic time with Japan and the US both on the gray line
so I pointed the antenna to the north and was able to run JAs for a while.
Since it was gray line, signals were coming both short and long path and I was
copying them off both the front and back of the beam at the same time.  The echo
effect made copy a little trickier but it was still fun.

On Friday night we realized that our north/south beverage seemed to be a dummy
load.  I did some troubleshooting and thought the RG-6 coax was bad.  I drove to
Home Depot, bought 500’ of new RG-6, and replaced the entire 350’ run in the
dark just after sunset. Unfortunately, this did not fix the issue.  We’ll have
to take a closer look at this before the ARRL contests.

While our score is down vs 2022, it is still better than any previous recent
year by a substantial margin.  We did improve our total mult count vs last year
(782 vs 757) which no doubt helped bolster our score some.

Thanks as always to Mark, Donna, and the O’Brien family for the generous loan
of a great station and letting us invade their home for another weekend.

KE2D