[3830] CQWW CW K6LL SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll.dave@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K6LL SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 02:20:14 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: AZ

  160:
   80:   25    15       16
   40:  158    28       78
   20:  245    33       92
   15:  329    29      104
   10:  625    33       94
------------------------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I got home from a Thanksgiving road trip to my son's house 3 hours before the
contest.  One of my AL-1500's failed, and I had to drag an old SB-220 out of the
garage and rewire it for 240. I checked the local noise situation just before
the contest, and 15 was totally unusable, so I decided at that point to do
single band 10 Meters.  The Friday JA opening was fine.  Europe on Saturday was
very sparse, all bent path, so it didn't look like single band 10 was going to
be much fun.  I checked 15, and the noise was gone, so I decided to do a
leisurely all band operation.  Solar Flux was 180, but there was a geomagnetic
storm going on, and the K Index was all over the place. Conditions were
sometimes great, and sometimes poor.  There was lots of Aurora on northern
stations.  My 15 Meter noise came back later, but I could still S&P through
it, but not call CQ.

There was certainly no shortage of stations to work, with all bands open.  So
many stations, so little time! Participation seemed to be excellent, with lots
of JA's.  There were also a large number of stations from China, and the quality
of their operation seemed to be much improved.

The little SB-220 has Electronic Bias Switching, and ran cool all weekend even
under heavy CQ'ing on 10 and 20.  It put out 1300 watts on 20 and 80, and about
1100 on 10, with about 80 watts of drive out of the bandpass filters.

N1MM Logger reports 26 hours of op time, but actually it was quite a bit less
with breaks.

I can't remember enjoying a DX Contest as much as this one before.  I think it
was because I had no set competitive goal, and just tried to maximize the fun
part. Having 10 and 15 open also increased the number of possible QSO's.

Equipment: K3 x 2, AL-1500, SB-220, Tribander, 2 el 40, and half-sloper on a 48'
tower.

Thanks for all the QSO's!