[3830] SS SSB K5TR Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5TR Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:09:42 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): N5TJ K5TR
Station: K5TR

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: STX

  160:    0

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

   80SSB      88          88        176       0
   40SSB     468         466        932       6
   20SSB     726         725       1450      13
   15SSB     380         377        754      39
   10SSB     353         352        704      27

 Totals     2015        2008       4016      85

 Final Score = 341360 points.

2023 SS SSB

The contest went well - I found band conditions to be challenging.
There was a lack of short skip on 20 and even more so on 40 meters the
first night.  This slowed rates and also made it impossible to hear
stations in your skip zone - and this makes frequency selection much
harder.  I know there were many times where there was clearly QRM on
or near my frequency that I could not hear at all - and some callers
would say I was getting covered up even though on my end it sounded
like clear channel radio.  When the bands are like this it makes it
much harder to know if it is just conditions are QRM that is causing
you to not get answers.  I was also very noisy for us Saturday night
on 40 meters.  I am sure there were callers we could not hear - and
that always affects rate and activity - noise will drive folks to bed
or TV or just about anything if they are not serious percipients in
the event.  20 meters also closed up before 03z and that is not a
great thing either - we struggle on 80 meters from here - even though
I can work a lot of DX on 80 I never feel loud on that band and I am
not sure what I can do about that - maybe try some other antennas. As
a single op I do not really need to work much on 80 meters but if you
have two radios going it helps to have two bands open at the same
time.

Lots of good scores out there.  Sorry to see that W7WA dropped out
early - he stopped by and worked Jeff and said he had quit.  K6JO from
ND7K had a great score in his first effort as a SO from that fine
station.  I am sure it would have been a tough battle had I been
single op.  I was worried that he would catch up to us - he made up a
lot of ground.  And as always congrats to all of the ops that stick it
out in this contest. I love the SS and the long exchange and the
challenge of only working once in the contest etc.  It is great to
have a contest that is so different than others on the calendar.

TLDR: We had a great time doing this contest this year.

Some might be surprised that I did not do my normal single op high
power entry in the Phone sweepstakes.  I have done a single op entry
for over 40 years (still sounds strange when I say that) and I think I
did only one or two multi-op efforts with WD5BIK(sk) and KE5C from my WB5VZL
station when I was first getting into contesting.

I had been thinking of doing something different this year for SS. I
have done the contest from MT, SCV and OH in previous years and last
year I did the CW SS from a state park in WTX.  I have really enjoyed
doing these other efforts and I have been considering doing SSB from a
portable location like I did on CW last year.  But I had not put in
the planning for that this year nor had I found or reserved a location
for a portable effort.

In the weeks leading up to this years contest I was seriously planning
on doing this years contest as a QRP entry from my home station.  I
figured that running QRP would likely be the most challenging and
different thing I could do and still operate from home.  It would
require me to do a lot more search and pounce operating and would keep
me very busy trying to get as many contacts as possible while running
less power than normal from here - it would be the most different.

Jeff (N5TJ) and I had talked on the phone about what my plans were for
CQ WW CW and if we should get on M/S or do something else - I am not
sure we have figured that out yet.  And we talked about SS.  I told
him that I was thinking of doing a QRP effort and that was where we
left it.  But as the week before last went on one thought came into my
mind - what if Jeff and I did a multi-op effort in the phone SS?  I
mulled this over - and on Saturday the 11th I sent Jeff a text message
and asked if he wanted to do a multi-op in SS.  He said that sounded
interesting.  We talked a bit more and then decided to give it a try.
At that point it was up to me to figure out how we would do this -
hardware and software wise.  I had always been impressed with the W6YI
/ ND7K SS operations.  I recall going to visit the W6YI station one
and an talking about how they did the SS M/S efforts but that was a
long time ago and having not seen them do it I was not sure what it
looked like.  When I visited ND7K last year it was sort of the same
thing and they have all these black boxes that do all sorts of thing
in contests but again not seeing any of it in action I really did not
have a clue.

There were several unknowns.

- Logging software - and keeping serial numbers correct - ie. Not
  giving out duplicate numbers.

- Some form of lockout so we would only have one single at a time.

- Operators - what would we need to learn how to do in order to
  operate and interleave contacts between two bands.

Logging software.  I use a version of N6TR’s TR-Log software that runs
on linux - it is known as Trlinux.  And it works well for me as a
single op and I can usually get it to work for me in my multi-op
efforts.  But this use case was a bit harder.  And I knew from
experience that dealing with the network and serial numbers if we were
going to interleave contacts between to ops on two different bands -
that was going to tax the software in ways it was not designed.  Then
it hit me with what I thought might work.  About a year ago Tree
(N6TR) created a new 2BSIQ mode for Trlinux.  I have been using this
in my single op efforts since last years CQP contest.  It uses two
keyboards and two entry windows on the screen.  And it knows how to
deal with QSO numbers on interleaved contacts between to bands - that
is what makes it possible to use in the CQP / SS and WPX.  And I knew
that worked well. My idea was we would use the software in 2BSIQ mode
but with two people.  I already had two keyboards. I just needed a
monitor.  I hooked up both monitors at both positions on the operating
table to the one computer and ran them in mirror mode.  This showed
the same screen on both monitors.  I put an extension on one keyboard
and hooked the radios up to the one computer.  We each had a QSO entry
window on the screen that was mapped to our keyboard.  Until Jeff got
here on Saturday a little over a hour before the contest I was still
unsure this would really work - and I found it hard to test things on
two keyboards and two entry windows by myself.  But when he got here
we did some tests and it seemed like it would work.  The real test
would come in the heat of the contest.  In the end it worked much
better than I had hoped and it was very useful to see the typing of
the other op.  Between seeing the realtime contact entry and hearing
him it was really easy to work together and time our own
transmissions. The software also showed when the radios were in
transmit - and that was also useful.

Lockouts - I knew I needed some form of lockout so that we could not
put out more than one signal at a time.  After thinking about it all
week I finally go to working on a solution on Friday night before the
contest.  I have two N6TV Y-boxes for the Elecraft K3 radios - and I
knew that they would allow me to setup the Elecraft TX inhibit the was
built into the Elecraft radios.  I got this wired up and played with
it and while it did keep me from transmitting two signals - it also
stopped all the signals when it was active.  If one radio was
transmitting and the other one got keyed up the TX on both radios
stopped - so pushing the foot switch would cause the other radio to
stop transmitting.  I knew this would not work for us.  So I started
working out other ways of doing this - and while I had seen schematics
in the past I was not finding much no matter what I searched for on
the internet.  I even called N6TV and had a chat with him about it
since he knew how the Elecraft worked and also what some stations like
K3LR do to lockout radios.  We chatted and he confirmed that the
Elecraft inhibit was working correctly.  After that phone call I
started thinking about how I could create a ‘first wins’ PTT lockout
for the foot switches that would do what I wanted it to do - and that
I could build with things I had around the shack.  What I decided on
was a simple circuit that uses two double pole double throw 12v relays
so that if you pushed one foot switch it keyed the radio and at the
same time made its the foot switch on the other radio would not key.
Again - this was untested but it worked almost perfectly - there were
a few things that did not act as I expected but will look at those in
version two.  The other thing was that because the Digital Voice
Recorder (DVR) we use is in the radio those were not governed by the
foot switch but by the K3 and the Elecraft TX inhibit was still in
effect and so that got in the way of using the DVR much when two of us
were on the radio.  Because it would just result in too many times
without any RF going out.  We did the contest 99.9% live.  I only use
the DVR for calling CQ when I am single op - and often not too much
the first few hours - but when things get slower I use it a lot.  It
was missed.  We both talked a lot - almost as much as we would have
done had we both done two single op efforts without DVRs.

The Operators.  This was also a big unknown. Both Jeff and I have done
this contest many times and we have both won this as high power single
ops but what we did not know was how hard it would be do interleave
contacts between us.  We looked at some of the ND7K public logs from
the last few years.  In 2020 they had a 270-280 hour - I ran the rate
sheet on that log and saw that they had 150+ contacts on one band and
120+ on another during that hour.  And that kinda made my brain
hurt. This is crazy rate.  I was not sure what we would need to do to
get that working.  They had been doing this for years from W6YI and
now from ND7K - would we be able to learn how to do this?  Would be
work together?  This was a big unknown.  The only thing I was sure of
is that Jeff and I have a lot of experience and skill and we are smart
- we should be able to figure it out.  Or I hoped we would and that it
would not take too long.  It would be an added benefit if we were not
fighting each other after a few hours of operating.  In addition it
had been 31 years since Jeff had done a real SS Phone effort.  In the
end this worked out really well in my opinion. We had a slow start due
to band conditions and getting good frequencies but we finally settled
in and end the first hour with a 174 - 80 on 15m and 93 on 10m.  And I
think we started sorting out how to work together to interleave
contacts during that first hour.  The second hour was spread across
15m for me and 10 and 20 for Jeff.  Our second hour as a 220 - and CBS
says that we had 60 minutes that was mostly that second hour that was
a 226.  We got better and better at this and learned a lot about ways
to make this work between the two bands and two ops.  I also found
that it was a fair amount of work - because you have to pay attention
to what the other op is working and doing while you are also working
and logging stations.  I was not fully expecting just how much of that
I would be doing.  I had wired up RX audio so each of us could listen
to to the other radio RX audio.  This was not as useful for me or used
that much - but it was useful at times.  I found that just listening
to Jeff and watching what he was typing told me more about were he was
in the QSO and when I needed to stop transmitting.  I also learned
that there were other parts of the contact process where it was useful
for me to let up on my PTT so that we could even interleave even more
- like giving the other op room for fills etc.  I was amazed at even
the high rates that we could each just run guys and not really have
any hand signals or other out of band data other that what I was
seeing on the screen or hearing Jeff say.  I think a lot of that has
to do with having a lot of experience and knowing what sorts of issues
you have when working folks and anticipating what is likely happening
on the other end of the contact even though I was not listening to it.
I felt like we got pretty good at it in the end.  I was surprised how
much mental work it was to do the contest, run guys and monitor what
the person next to me was doing as well as trying to operate with him
in sync.  But that made is much more interesting to me.  I would do
this again.

Having down two phone multi-ops now with Jeff - I want to do more if
he will keep coming over here - need to plan on more of these.  I have
had a lot of fun when he is here doing these contests.

For me, the contest was a success.

The other thing that I thought about this past week was the fact that
the ARRL changed the rules the Sweepstakes contests back in the late
60’s because WA5LES (K5RC) and K5LZO were doing two person multi-ops
in the Sweepstakes using a lockout device that became known as an
octopus.  I do not know much about how all that came down but there
was some mention in the SS results in 1969. You can see the results
articles on the ARRL web site at
https://contests.arrl.org/ssph/articles/ It does not matter if you
pick phone or CW since back then both modes were in once issue.  I
have not looked at 1970 yet - maybe that has more to say not the rules
changes.  And I recall that rule still being in the rules when I
started my SS journey back in the last 70’s.  Anyway they were doing
well in the SS in those years and often had the highest score in the
contest.  In 1969 it was noted that they broke 1200 contacts in both
the CW and SSB events.  I do not know if that was still using the
longer exchange or when that changed.  I do not know when the rule was
removed but I guess it has been a while since W6YI started doing this
form of M/S and maybe others as well many years ago.
I find this history
interesting.  It was nice to see all the photos of LZO and RC in the
writeup with their huge dupe sheet.  The same but different compared
to what we did this past weekend - but still having great fun on the
radio.

Thanks for the contacts and hope to see you all (and more) in the next one!

Lot-O-Numbers:

Station: http://www.k5tr.net/
2x Elecraft K3 radios
2x Alpha 87A
trlinux - http://kkn.net/trlinux

160 - Half wave sloping dipoles sloped east and west from 125'
    - SAL-30 RX array

80  - Half wave sloping dipoles - sloped NE, NW from 125'
    - SAL-30 RX array

40  - 4 element yagi at 125'
    - Cushcraft 40-2CD at 87'

20  - Stack of three 6 element yagis at 135' / 85' / 45'
    - 6 element yagi at 80'
    - 4 element yagi 60' fixed SE

15  - 6 element yagi at 70'
    - 6 element yagi at 35' fixed NE
    - 4 element yagi at 50' fixed SE

10  - 7 element yagi 48 ft boom at 60'
    - 6 element yagi 24 ft boom at 145'
    - 6 element yagi 24 ft boom at 45' fixed SE
    - 6 element yagi 24 ft boom at 30' fixed NE

HR    80       40       20       15       10    HR TOT CUM TOTAL  SCORE
-- ------- -------- -------- -------- -------- ------ ---------  -----
21    ---      ---      1/1     80/33    93/24  174/58   174/58   0.02M
22    ---      ---     66/5    112/6     42/3   220/14   394/72   0.06M
23    ---      6/1     99/5     42/0      ---   147/6    541/78   0.08M
 0    ---     59/3     73/1      ---      ---   132/4    673/82   0.11M
 1    ---     65/0     86/1      ---      ---   151/1    824/83   0.14M
 2    3/0     72/2     37/0      ---      ---   112/2    936/85   0.16M
 3   42/0     47/0      ---      ---      ---    89/0   1025/85   0.17M
 4   27/0     39/0      ---      ---      ---    66/0   1091/85   0.19M
 5   13/0     16/0      ---      ---      ---    29/0   1120/85   0.19M
 6    ---      6/0      ---      ---      ---     6/0   1126/85   0.19M
 7    ---      ---      ---      ---      ---     ---   1126/85   0.19M
 8    ---      ---      ---      ---      ---     ---   1126/85   0.19M
 9    ---      ---      ---      ---      ---     ---   1126/85   0.19M
10    ---      ---      ---      ---      ---     ---   1126/85   0.19M
11    1/0     32/0      ---      ---      ---    33/0   1159/85   0.20M
12    1/0     13/0      ---      ---      ---    14/0   1173/85   0.20M
13    ---     21/0     21/0      ---      ---    42/0   1215/85   0.21M
14    ---     12/0     25/0     16/0      ---    53/0   1268/85   0.22M
15    ---      1/0     24/0     10/0     34/0    69/0   1337/85   0.23M
16    ---      ---      3/0     24/0     53/0    80/0   1417/85   0.24M
17    ---      ---      ---     22/0     53/0    75/0   1492/85   0.25M
18    ---      ---      6/0     20/0     47/0    73/0   1565/85   0.27M
19    ---      ---     13/0     12/0     19/0    44/0   1609/85   0.27M
20    ---      ---     27/0     11/0     10/0    48/0   1657/85   0.28M
21    ---      1/0     57/0      8/0      ---    66/0   1723/85   0.29M
22    ---      1/0     55/0     15/0      1/0    72/0   1795/85   0.31M
23    ---     22/0     43/0      5/0      ---    70/0   1865/85   0.32M
 0    ---     24/0     50/0      ---      ---    74/0   1939/85   0.33M
 1    1/0     18/0     35/0      ---      ---    54/0   1993/85   0.34M
 2    ---     11/0      4/0      ---      ---    15/0   2008/85   0.34M
D1   0/0      6/1    166/11   234/39   135/27            541/78
D2  88/0    460/5    559/2    143/0    217/0            1467/7
TO  88/0    466/6    725/13   377/39   352/27           2008/85

CALLSIGN: K5TR
CONTEST: ARRL-SS-SSB
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: MULTI-OP
CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE

-------------- Q S O   R a t e   S u m m a r y ---------------------
Hour     160     80     40     20     15     10    Rate Total    Pct
2100       0      0      0      1     80     93    174    174    8.7
2200       0      0      0     66    112     42    220    394   19.6
2300       0      0      6     99     42      0    147    541   26.9
0000       0      0     59     73      0      0    132    673   33.5
0100       0      0     65     86      0      0    151    824   41.0
0200       0      3     72     37      0      0    112    936   46.6
0300       0     42     47      0      0      0     89   1025   51.0
0400       0     27     39      0      0      0     66   1091   54.3
0500       0     13     16      0      0      0     29   1120   55.8
0600       0      0      6      0      0      0      6   1126   56.1
0700       0      0      0      0      0      0      0   1126   56.1
0800       0      0      0      0      0      0      0   1126   56.1
0900       0      0      0      0      0      0      0   1126   56.1
1000       0      0      0      0      0      0      0   1126   56.1
1100       0      1     32      0      0      0     33   1159   57.7
1200       0      1     13      0      0      0     14   1173   58.4
1300       0      0     21     21      0      0     42   1215   60.5
1400       0      0     12     25     16      0     53   1268   63.1
1500       0      0      1     24     10     34     69   1337   66.6
1600       0      0      0      3     24     53     80   1417   70.6
1700       0      0      0      0     22     53     75   1492   74.3
1800       0      0      0      6     20     47     73   1565   77.9
1900       0      0      0     13     12     19     44   1609   80.1
2000       0      0      0     27     11     10     48   1657   82.5
2100       0      0      1     57      8      0     66   1723   85.8
2200       0      0      1     55     15      1     72   1795   89.4
2300       0      0     22     43      5      0     70   1865   92.9
0000       0      0     24     50      0      0     74   1939   96.6
0100       0      1     18     35      0      0     54   1993   99.3
0200       0      0     11      4      0      0     15   2008  100.0
Total      0     88    466    725    377    352   2008

Gross QSOs=2015        Dupes=7        Net QSOs=2008

Unique callsigns worked = 2008

The best 60 minute rate was 226/hour from 2206 to 2305
The best 30 minute rate was 248/hour from 2235 to 2304
The best 10 minute rate was 282/hour from 2255 to 2304

The best 1 minute rates were:
 6 QSOs/minute    8 times.
 5 QSOs/minute   27 times.
 4 QSOs/minute   67 times.
 3 QSOs/minute  139 times.
 2 QSOs/minute  311 times.
 1 QSOs/minute  518 times.

Number of letters in callsigns
Letters  # worked
-----------------
   3         3
   4       670
   5       793
   6       535
   7         1
   8         3
   9         2
  10         1

------------ M u l t i p l i e r   S u m m a r y ------------
Mult     160     80     40     20     15     10  Total    Pct
Va        0      4     14     28     16     18     80    4.0
Il        0      6     19     25     26      1     77    3.8
Oh        0      1     20     23     22     11     77    3.8
Mi        0      2     19     30     10     14     75    3.7
Mn        0      1     14     25     24      5     69    3.4
Mdc       0      7     13     20      9     12     61    3.0
Nc        0      3     20     23      8      4     58    2.9
Wi        0      3      7     18     19      4     51    2.5
Tn        0      5     12     24      9      1     51    2.5
WWa       0      0      4     23      7     16     50    2.5
EPa       0      2     17     14      5     10     48    2.4
Az        0      1      9     28      4      2     44    2.2
EMa       0      0      3     20      9     11     43    2.1
Or        0      0      4     16      8     14     42    2.1
In        0      2     11     18      9      1     41    2.0
Ga        0      2     15     13      8      2     40    2.0
WNy       0      1      4     15      5     13     38    1.9
WPa       0      2     13     11      4      6     36    1.8
Ct        0      0     12     11      2     10     35    1.7
ENy       0      1      5     11      7     10     34    1.7
Sv        0      1      4      9      7     12     33    1.6
Co        0      0     12     18      2      1     33    1.6
NFl       0      2      8     14      7      1     32    1.6
NNj       0      1      6     11      4      9     31    1.5
Mo        0      2     12     13      1      2     30    1.5
Scv       0      3      2      5      6     11     27    1.3
Nh        0      1      8      6      3      8     26    1.3
Sc        0      0      9     10      6      0     25    1.2
NLi       0      0      3      9      4      9     25    1.2
SFl       0      0      7      9      6      3     25    1.2
Ks        0      3     11      6      3      1     24    1.2
STx       0      4     12      2      2      3     23    1.1
NTx       0      3     12      2      2      3     22    1.1
Ky        0      1     10      8      3      0     22    1.1
Lax       0      0      4      8      5      5     22    1.1
Sb        0      0      2      8      5      6     21    1.0
Id        0      1      2     10      4      4     21    1.0
Nv        0      0      3      3      7      6     19    0.9
Eb        0      0      0      5      3     11     19    0.9
Ut        0      0      3     10      5      1     19    0.9
Org       0      0      1      7      8      3     19    0.9
SNj       0      0      1      5      8      4     18    0.9
Sjv       0      0      2      5      2      9     18    0.9
Me        0      1      4      7      3      2     17    0.8
WcF       0      0      8      7      1      1     17    0.8
Al        0      1     10      5      0      1     17    0.8
Sf        0      1      0      5      2      8     16    0.8
Sdg       0      0      0      9      5      1     15    0.7
Mt        0      0      1      6      5      3     15    0.7
Bc        0      0      1      8      0      6     15    0.7
Gh        0      1      3      2      4      4     14    0.7
Ia        0      1      4      6      2      0     13    0.6
Qc        0      1      2      3      1      6     13    0.6
Ri        0      0      4      7      1      1     13    0.6
Wv        0      1      1      3      3      4     12    0.6
Ons       0      0      0      5      4      3     12    0.6
Vt        0      1      2      4      4      1     12    0.6
Ne        0      1      4      6      1      0     12    0.6
Ar        0      2      7      3      0      0     12    0.6
One       0      0      0      2      3      6     11    0.5
WMa       0      0      3      3      1      4     11    0.5
Ak        0      0      1      3      2      5     11    0.5
Nm        0      0      4      5      2      0     11    0.5
EWa       0      0      0      3      2      5     10    0.5
Wy        0      3      1      2      4      0     10    0.5
Pac       0      0      0      4      2      3      9    0.4
De        0      0      4      3      1      1      9    0.4
Ab        0      1      1      3      2      2      9    0.4
Ms        0      0      5      4      0      0      9    0.4
NNy       0      0      3      3      1      2      9    0.4
Nd        0      1      4      2      0      2      9    0.4
Sd        0      2      1      1      2      1      7    0.3
Sk        0      0      1      4      2      0      7    0.3
La        0      2      3      1      0      0      6    0.3
WTx       0      1      4      0      0      1      6    0.3
Mb        0      0      2      2      1      0      5    0.2
Nl        0      0      2      3      0      0      5    0.2
Ok        0      2      2      0      0      1      5    0.2
Pe        0      0      0      3      0      0      3    0.1
Ter       0      0      2      0      0      1      3    0.1
Vi        0      0      0      3      0      0      3    0.1
Nb        0      0      1      1      1      0      3    0.1
Pr        0      0      1      2      0      0      3    0.1
Ns        0      0      1      1      1      0      3    0.1
Onn       0      0      0      2      0      0      2    0.1
Total      0     88    466    725    377    352   2008

Sweepstakes Checks
Check  QSOs    Pct
----------------------
  00    15     0.7