[3830] SS SSB VE3RX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cwj@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VE3RX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:24:24 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: VE3RX
Operator(s): VE3RX
Station: VE3RX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ONN

   80:    6
   10:    9

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

What pile-ups! I was missing an 80M antenna (loaded up my 40M on 80 - not good),
which affected overall Qs. Pile-ups were manageable except for those that kept
calling (tail-ending) for 5 to 10 seconds when I was already sending my report.
It just makes the Q rate drop when I have to repeat the exchange because someone
kept calling on top. If everyone would stop after a few seconds, my Q rate would
have been higher and I would have given ONN to more people. Oh well, that is ham
radio I guess. I could have run split, but 20M was crowded as it was.
Saturday was mostly S&P, with a small run on 15M. It got really busy on
Sunday around noon, I had a good 20M run (avg. 94 Qs/hr) for over 3.5 hours
before I got squeezed out by QRM and changing band conditions. After supper, I
needed 3 more sections so I finished by checking 20M. Most stations were DUPs,
but managed to find and get PR. Went to 40M after and had a good second run.
Strangely, the pileup was more manageable, less tail-enders for some reason. I
picked up my final ONS and GH sections for the sweep.
Thanks to those who were patient during the runs, and sorry to those that I
could not pick out (not my fault).

Radio: K3/KPA500
Ant: Mosley Pro-67B @ 65' on rocky outcrop (gives me another 20-30 feet)