[3830] SS SSB W4LT(@W4DUG) SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lromero56@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4LT(@W4DUG) SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:09:38 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4DUG

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 20.25
Remote Operation

  160:    0

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig - Flex6400 / Maestro - 100% remote operation
Antennas - C31XR @ 118ft, EF240x @ 118ft, OCF Dipole sloper, XR5 @ 55ft

Not one of my better efforts in this, my favorite contest. I was not physically
prepared for this contest, and it showed with lack of BIC time due to "sore
tushy" from sitting. My trusty 23 year old chair's cushions have apparently
completely worn out for extended habitation, so the time has come for a new
chair... And I will have to pay for it in full and not charge it to the company
now that I am retired, hi hi.

Great band conditions! In retrospect, I spent way too much time on 80 and 10...
Especially 80, where I dont have much of a signal at this station. It was
wonderful to have 10 and 15... Especially 15, where I should have invested more
time.

Many many callers not in the History file or even in the SuperCheck Partial
file!  Bad for us assisted folk, but good for RadioSport! Heard many more 20,
21, 22 and 23 checks... a good sign that we have more people getting interested
in contesting! Nice to say hello to friends... And a fun time watching the
competition between me and W1VE at KP2B.  He inspired me to ignore the sore butt
and stay in the chair longer than I would have if not for the scoreboard.  Im
paying for this today. OUCH!

A thrill is being called by a weak VE6FXL/VY1 for a surprise TER multiplier! LAX
was my last mult for a sweep. 40m was a mess here with splatter and incredible
RX IMD from multiple incredibly loud SW Broadcast signals, even on the side and
back of the 40m Yagi! I guess its time for a 6600 and 7th order filters... Or
set up my K3 for remote operation. Fun time busting VE3RX's pileup when he was
looking for "rare" Delaware and Rhode Island... "How 'bout West
Central Florida?" I said. "Oh, yeah, awesome! That's one I had given
up on!" he says! "Well, here I am!" I said, much to the chagrin
of the pileup!

Speaking of Flex, it only crashed once... DAX and CAT went down, but amazingly,
Maestro stayed connected! Had to reset it on the fly as I was in a run at the
time.

ARRL should start docking points for wide, crappy audio. Some folks were had to
understand. Great to see many YL signals as well. Felt so "dirty"
self-spotting, but if my competitors do it, I have to do it too. Frankly, I dont
like this rule, but it is what it is.

Thanks for all the points! And thanks to the Tampa ARC for the "magic"
40 meter antenna!

73

Lu Romero - W4LT