[3830] SS SSB K0HB SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K0HB@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0HB SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 05:31:00 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K0HB
Operator(s): K0HB
Station: K0HB

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:    5

"It was the Best of Times, and the Worst of Times"

I started out with a nice 94-Q run in the first hour, but the rest of Saturday
evening was not good.  The only band that I could hold a run on was 40, but I
was plagued with rapid QSB, and had to abandon numerous Q's which started with a
nice signal but faded to noise right around the check/section.  I went to bed
with just under 300 Q's in the log.  (I did take a 30 minute break to hunt down
PRØT which was an ATNO, and bagged them.)

Sunday morning wasn't much better, and at noon I'd only reached 450 Q's, and was
facing the "Sunday doldrums".  I decided to stick with it, as the
Vikes were playing an evening game.

Good decision -- around 2PM 15-meters turned into magic for me (what
"doldrums") and I actually ended with my sweep, and with 6 more Q's
than my CW weekend!

Couple of things that I noticed -- there were a TON of checks in 21-22-23 years.
  Because I was running in U class, I turned on "call history".  It
seemed to me that maybe 25% of the calls I worked were not in that history.  Is
contesting becoming "a thing"?

My "sweep" came late, and like Al, the last one to drop was SDG.  ONN
was also a late one to get in the log. My "usual scarce suspects"
SD/ND/NE/IA were common.

This was my first serious SSB use of the new FTdx101MP, and it didn't
disappoint.  The blend of analog front end and DSP beyond is really smooth.
With the right adjustments you can be fooled into thinking you're "full
quieting" on the 16/76 2m repeater on 20 and above.

I almost stopped at 748 Q's (like my CW effort) and turned in a duplicate score,
but I knew Rich would see that, and bawl me out for quitting early.

See you all (bored) in a week in the "59 4" weekend.  Or maybe I'll be
chasing VK9CY for my third ATNO this month.

73, de Hans, K0HB