[3830] SS CW W1KM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1KM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 17:23:17 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W1KM
Operator(s): W1KM
Station: W1KM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EMa
Operating Time (hrs): 14:14
OpMode: SO2R
Remote Operation

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

10M was fantastic for the first couple of hours—good rate and lots of
unexpected mults.  It was downhill from there, but finished the sweep early
Sunday afternoon with NP3Y on 10 and NG3R on 40.
My first contest ever was the November 63 SS, so 60 years ago. (yikes!)
The ‘63 edition:  two consecutive Nov. weekends, 23Z-08Z, operate 40 hrs max
during the 66 hour period! The exchange (aka preamble) additionally  included
the time of qso and birthday, so maybe we shouldn’t whinge  about the ‘long
exchange’ we have now! There was a 1.25 low power multiplier for power
<150W. Phone and CW portions ran concurrently with separate logs and results
for each. I made 280 qso’s in 27 hrs. for a whopping rate of 10.3/hr.  (A rate
I approached at times yesterday!) I finished 13th out of 36 CW entries in
Eastern Mass. The overall winner that year was W9IOP who made 1417 q’s in 38
hrs for an outstanding rate of 37/hr.  It’s interesting to look at the results
in the May 64 QST.  Some calls jump out at me and are still active (W2OIB in NNJ
who called me on 10 Saturday). Many of the calls are different but the ops were
active this weekend (eg., K8HLR, K9DHN, K1WJD.) I remember it, as much as I
remember anything from early teen years, as an initiation into a new world of
CW. I wonder what the average code speed was back then.
Thanks for the q’s and especially to the ops who made the sweep fairly easy
this year—my third sweep in 60 yrs!   73 Greg W1KM