[3830] SS CW W4LT SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lromero56@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W4LT SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 04:01:11 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:    0
   80:    5

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig: Flex 6400 / Maestro
Ant: A3S @ 30ft - 2 Half Waves in phase ladder line fed @ 28 ft

I spent the earlier part of the week helping Chris NX4N with his set up at the
Tampa ARC facility (lots of phone calls hi hi). My own station here at my home
is still in pieces after having to move out for several months when we did a
home remodel.

Helping Chris got my contest mojo running and I figured "Why Not?" So,
I literally threw some gear together in my garage shack that is currently a
total disaster, with gear yanked out, disconnected cables everywhere and stuff
all over the op desk.  I put my 6400 on a spare Ikea "Lack" table,
connected a ethernet switch for the radio, placed a PC on top of an old speaker
with software for system control and rigged up my rotor to the system for remote
control.

Then, I set up the Maestro on my desk in my wife's office. I remoted the stuff
in the garage via my home LAN from the office to the radio in the garage. I
rigged up my rotor for remote control in my logger PC from the PC in the garage
and, finding my wire antenna quite messed up, I rigged up a way to feed it
correctly with some PVC pipe.

Seriously, this station went together in 5 hours! It was very jury rigged, and
ugly, but it worked, to my surprise! I had not had my local station on the air
in 10 months... But to my amazement, it actually played! And, amazingly, nothing
failed!

All I was going to do was run some multipliers and see if I could get a sweep,
as I have never done a sweep in CW in over 40 years of trying. About 75%
S&P. At the start, all S&P, but then I got the itch to run... And did
some running, which amazed me at my success with my low tribander and wire.

Guess what?  The sweep actually happened! Only took me 40 years to achieve!

Prop on high bands was great until Sunday. Then it went to hell.

Thanks to all for all the points and see you in a couple of weeks for SSB from
the Tampa ARC remote (I hope... If we get it all back together in time!)

73

Lu Romero - W4LT